Thread: Staying logged in ?

Staying logged in ?

Couldn't see anything in settings but is there any way to extend the logged in period ? It seems when I'm not using the site for a short time, say I'm having dinner or souping film, I automatically get logged off after a short period.

It's a minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things but still it'd be nice not to have to keep logging in to see the new private sale area.

tia
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Re: Staying logged in ?

Hmmm... I don't log out anymore, Safari doesn't handle vBulletin's cookies correctly to remember the userid/password correctly. I just click back to the main menu if I'm not done and back to the forum topics and posts. If never seems to be a problem.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

The timeout is maintained to avoid, among other things, situations where someone appears to be online, but doesn't respond to PMs and such, thus appearing rude.

If your browser saves login/password combinations, typing the first letter of your login ID in that field should trigger an auto fill-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    The timeout is maintained to avoid, among other things, situations where someone appears to be online, but doesn't respond to PMs and such, thus appearing rude.
    There two different types of "being logged on", you and the OP may be speaking about different issues.

A site will generally use two cookies, one with long term login/password contained in it - what you get when you click "remember me" - and the other called a "session" cookie - which is what you are referring to. Session cookies are deleted when you close the browser, or when the timeout period elapses - generally 20 minutes or so (since the last activity). When the site finds no session cookie, it will try to find the default cookie (with login info), which it will then use to log the user back in. I suspect, the OP either has these permanant cookies turned off, or has an anti-virus program that deletes them.

interesting about the cookies but several other sites I visit regularly never log me off. It's a few lines to type so no big, just wondering is all.

thanks Scott and Robert
    notch codes ? I only use one film...