Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLA'ing a shutter

CLA'ing a shutter

Hi,

I have a Turner-Reich 7.5 inch lens in a Rapax shutter I've been using for several years for 4X5 and 5X7 format. The shutter has developed some problems recently especially with the slower speeds.

I have had this shutter almost completely apart a couple years ago to repair a problem with the iris but I didn't clean or lubricate it then. It worked fine after that up till recently.

I could send it to SK Grimes but I thought I'd give it a try myself, since I've had it apart and got it back together successfully before.

I have obtained the repair manual for the Rapax shutter. My question is about the lubricants to use. The manual mentions a machine oil and a grease but doesn't give any specific manufacturers or specs for the oil and grease. Does anyone know which lubricants to use and where they could be obtained?

Thanks!

Zack

Re: CLA'ing a shutter

Two things, Zack. Both take you to Carol Miller at Flutotscamerarepair.com.

One, she is fantastic on CLA's, extremely reasonable at around $50.00 and sends you a complete chart on the marked and actual speeds on the finished job.

Second, if you are sure you want to do this yourself, the links on her site are extensive and you may find the lubricants you want in one of her contacts.

Good Luck.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I'd also suggest Carol. She recently CLA'd a 1970s Compur for me and it came back spot on at every time and everything is smooth.

I would imagine that there are much better lubricants available today than were specified for the shutter way back when. Tri-lube for instance is a bicycle chain lubricant that "dries" and won't leave a big mess. Something like this stays with the part but doesn't "freeze" in the cold. I would think this would be a good lubricant for the shutter internals.

But as for machine oil and grease, specifically for the oil, you'd need to find out which weight or specification they were talking about. Could be heavy gear oil 75W 90W or light oil like a 5W, or something even lighter. Once you get into the correct weight, you should have a few options. Again, with the grease you'd need to find out which type.

Lighter fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post
    Lighter fluid.
    As cleaner or lubricant?

Thanks for the help!

I will contact Carol at Flutot's, which is an option.

I was looking for lubricants, not cleaners. I have all sorts of solvents that will work as cleaners.

I think I tracked down the lubricants I need at http://www.micro-tools.com

Zack

Quote Originally Posted by mrladewig View Post
    As cleaner or lubricant?
    As a cleaner. This has been around as a DIY CLA method for a long time. I've cleaned up and revived two shutters by sloshing them around in a jar of lighter fluid. I reoil the shaft ends using a toothpick to transfer microdrops of oil. Both shutters came back to life with all speeds serviceable, and both still work after several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post
    As a cleaner. This has been around as a DIY CLA method for a long time. I've cleaned up and revived two shutters by sloshing them around in a jar of lighter fluid. I reoil the shaft ends using a toothpick to transfer microdrops of oil. Both shutters came back to life with all speeds serviceable, and both still work after several years.
    That's what I thought.

The fellow was asking about the lubricants, and I sure thought the lighter fluid sounded like an awfully strange lubricant.

Well, that's an interesting idea. Don't take it too far apart, just dunk the whole shutter (minus the lens elements of course) in the naphtha?

Some of my favorite solvents are alcohol, xylol, trichlor (non-flammable), MEK (dangerous stuff but one of the few epoxy solvents), acetone, naphtha, and for those really serious hydrocarbon deposits, Gunk (contains a little of everything). Some of these are safe on most paints, some aren't; some dissolve plastic and some don't.

Zack

The advantage of having Carol do the work is, that should you decide to sell the lens, "CLA'ed by Carol Miller on xx/xx/xx" would be a positive selling point. "Cleaned it myself" might not be, but should be disclosed, nonetheless.