Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting tables--make your own or buy?

Re: Shooting tables--make your own or buy?

One thing that might help is using booms especially to get a light over the top of the set from behind the set. That means one less lightstand to work around at the sides and faster adjustments to get it all right.

Matt Blaze is right on with his note of the benfits of studio stands. They are a huge help.

If you want to try out a plexi table, start with a thick piece of clear plexi and jury rig enough support to make it work. If you like what it does, eventually a shhoting table with all the bells and whiatles may be in your future, but you can try out the concept for a minimal outlay. That goes for many studio furnishings.

I also am a user of continuous light rather than flash. I can see what I'm doing so much better.

C

Re: Shooting tables--make your own or buy?

I showed a photo of the FOBA shooting table to a furniture-maker friend. He made me a beautiful table out of rock maple that breaks down for easy storage, has a high back cross support, raised front support (for camera stand to roll under for close-ups). I've used it for 20 years. Every few years I apply some more tung oil to it, and the finish gets more beautiful. It's designed to hold a 4'x6'piece of curved plexi, or I lay a piece of particle board across for really heavy products where I don't need to shoot through. Probably the best $50 piece of equipment in my studio!

David Crosby
    dcp2@earthlink.net