Page 70 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 700 of 751

Thread: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

  1. #691
    PhilCedozPhotos
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    18

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    So, I just got a Durst 184 and got it home. The upper column would not raise or lower and it looks like the worm gear in the hand crank is shot.

    Does anyone have the specs necessary to order a new one? I don't know how to measure for these things, ratio, pitch, etc...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	204017
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0043.jpg  

  2. #692

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    Durst ceased production of their enlargers in 2006 because of lack of demand. Durst Pro USA continued to fill that void until its owners untimely death recently where the inventory was allocated to a few interested takers and the rest hauled off so there is no option to order a new one. Your option is to find a used part because trying to find a machinist to reproduce such a complex part to that tensile spec will be prohibitively expensive. Hope you got the unit for the effort of hauling it off because without the ability of raising and lowering the column it is a repository of parts unfortunately. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is what it is. What you learned is that you always make sure that the enlarger is capable of its basic functions before you proceed forward. Onward!

  3. #693
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,015

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    Anything can be hacked, meaning adapted

    Find the right local person, most likely not here

    The part is very difficult to make, a local retired machinist is a start

    Do not give up, or give up and sell your parts



    Quote Originally Posted by philcedozphotos View Post
    So, I just got a Durst 184 and got it home. The upper column would not raise or lower and it looks like the worm gear in the hand crank is shot.

    Does anyone have the specs necessary to order a new one? I don't know how to measure for these things, ratio, pitch, etc...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	204017
    wear mask or NOT

    is ???

  4. #694
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    15,015

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    2 seconds on google found this, not the same design, but can do the same thing

    A far heavier duty Saltzman uses this type with chain

    https://www.rushgears.com/gear-types...RoCSQUQAvD_BwE

    and this https://www.mcmaster.com/gear-boxes
    wear mask or NOT

    is ???

  5. #695

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Madisonville, LA
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    Looks like it's shot. Usually happens from trying to raise or lower above the stop, or forcing it. These gears have a single hole for a through pin; may be necessary to drill a second hole in it.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	204026Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	204027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	204028

  6. #696
    ic-racer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,730

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    For ten years in this thread I always recommend the L184 if one is not an electrical hobbyist (like myself), because 'mechanical items are easier to fix.' So maybe this is not the case for you guys with the bad gears?

    I know not many have read all 695 posts, but my enlarger was a big paper weight when I got it because without a working electronic motor control board, THERE IS NO MANUAL FOCUS KNOB.

  7. #697

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Madisonville, LA
    Posts
    2,224

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    IC, I'm fortunate in that I have both the Hemot motor and the manual head crank, both with good gears!!!

  8. #698
    PhilCedozPhotos
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    18

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    I've looked through these and boston gear and the main issue is this gear has 17 teeth and that the pin is on the collar above the gear. These 2 things are apparently a holy grail of gear design.

  9. #699
    PhilCedozPhotos
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    18

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Anything can be hacked, meaning adapted

    Find the right local person, most likely not here

    The part is very difficult to make, a local retired machinist is a start

    Do not give up, or give up and sell your parts
    Iíve got a guy who may be able to 3d print a new one.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #700
    PhilCedozPhotos
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    18

    Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    For ten years in this thread I always recommend the L184 if one is not an electrical hobbyist (like myself), because 'mechanical items are easier to fix.' So maybe this is not the case for you guys with the bad gears?

    I know not many have read all 695 posts, but my enlarger was a big paper weight when I got it because without a working electronic motor control board, THERE IS NO MANUAL FOCUS KNOB.
    Iíve been looking for a large format enlarger for a while. Like you said I wanted one that had no circuits. This gear was a total surprise and probably the hardest thing to replace.

    Any ideas on converting to a bulb that doesnít get hotter than the sun?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. 8X10 ENLARGER
    By ric YAMA in forum Resources
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 28-Mar-2011, 12:26
  2. 8x10 Enlarger...HELP please talk me out of it!!
    By ic-racer in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 18-Feb-2008, 07:09
  3. cold light head for durst 8x10
    By Herb Cunningham in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-Sep-2007, 10:05
  4. Durst 184 8x10 enlarger
    By David Michael Bigeleisen in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2007, 06:29
  5. Fotar 8x10 Enlarger used horizontally?
    By Eric_6227 in forum Darkroom: Equipment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2006, 13:02

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •