Page 39 of 88 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

Re: Durst L1840 Enlarger 8x10 10x10--Everything you wanted to know...

20 strand cable can be had in 100ft rolls for over $300. A more inexpensive solution might be to make the cable out of individual wires using a braided cable sheath like this. You don't need 20 different colors if you are careful soldering the ends and use a continuity checker to match the wires to the pins.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	braided_sleeving_black.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	127251
    http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/Brai...-color-pet.php

Drew Wiley

I'm doing something sneaky here... adding a fictitious post just to keep this lengthy thread near the top of the list, where it's easy for me to find and read at my leisure. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I'm doing something sneaky here... adding a fictitious post just to keep this lengthy thread near the top of the list, where it's easy for me to find and read at my leisure. Sorry.
    Maybe I missed the significance of your prior post, but It looks like you are getting an L1840 and you don't already have one? I guess I thought you already had one. Anyway a lot of the PDFs related to the L1840 & CLS2000/1840 I have are not hosted anywhere, so if you would like any of them or want to know what PDFs I have let me know.

I would love a pdf on the CLS2000 if you have one. bob@bobcarnieprintmaking.ca

I have just changed my whole darkroom around.. second time in four months, I now have the durst set up to enable me to make horizantal 40 x50 inch silver prints.
    I do not know how in the hell I lost the cord attaching the head to the transformer, but I did.

regards

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Maybe I missed the significance of your prior post, but It looks like you are getting an L1840 and you don't already have one? I guess I thought you already had one. Anyway a lot of the PDFs related to the L1840 & CLS2000/1840 I have are not hosted anywhere, so if you would like any of them or want to know what PDFs I have let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    I would love a pdf on the CLS2000 if you have one. bob@bobcarnieprintmaking.ca

I have just changed my whole darkroom around.. second time in four months, I now have the durst set up to enable me to make horizantal 40 x50 inch silver prints.
    I do not know how in the hell I lost the cord attaching the head to the transformer, but I did.

regards

Bob
    Hey Bob,

How are you developing your 40x50 prints? In a gutter or do you have big trays? My mentor does 30x40 prints for clients and uses big stainless steel trays, which are too heavy to rock or empty easily. Unfortunately, the guy who built the trays did not put drains in them.

Do you know of any source of big plastic trays that will fit 30x40 prints? It's nice to be able to see what is going on when you develop a print, something you can't do if they're in a gutter.

Hi Larry

I have three sinks .. two of them are 56 inches by 8ft.. the third is 56 inches by 12 ft. I have had very durable hard plastic trays welded to handle 34 x47 as well I have larger trays made for 40 x50. They have handles on them
    and at 60 I am still strong enough to rock the trays.

When I roll large lambda paper 30inch by 12ft I use these under the bed plastic hampers.. they hold about 50 litres of chemicals each, and I hand scroll the large roll , then when fixed I cut down to the smaller sizes
    and fix normally in my large trays.
    Any large plastic supply house will be able to direct you to a plastic welder who can custom make the trays.. Approx $200 per 30 x 40 is what I paid, more due to material for the larger trays.
    I have posted pictures of these trays before.

I am hoping to make a very large vertical washer at some point where I can wash up to 40 x50 inch prints by hanging them in slots with stainless steel weights (think very large fish tank with separators and water coming in and draining from bottom....... this is the largest Print Size I think I will every go Manually... there are others doing much larger prints but for me my sweet spot with murals is 30 x40
    I just bought a new Drytac hot press and I love the ability to mount these large prints to 2ply to keep them flat for presentation.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Hey Bob,

How are you developing your 40x50 prints? In a gutter or do you have big trays? My mentor does 30x40 prints for clients and uses big stainless steel trays, which are too heavy to rock or empty easily. Unfortunately, the guy who built the trays did not put drains in them.

Do you know of any source of big plastic trays that will fit 30x40 prints? It's nice to be able to see what is going on when you develop a print, something you can't do if they're in a gutter.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Good idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old setup 1.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	127390Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old setup 2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	127391Click image for larger version. 

Name:	My Brother making new sinks.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	127392

Here are some pics of sinks and trays... The old set up worked quite nicely, but when I moved I had to make new sinks as my new location doorways were too small to handle the big sinks(don't ask - lots of hassels)
    My brother made the bases for my new sinks and we used industrial style shelving to be the base, This works very well for large production darkrooms. Costly but never goes out of usage.

Getting the setup right was difficult and actually am currently moving everything around to suit my needs... getting some more safelights from Ginette here on LFormat, and making the whole basement area (1200sq ft ) a huge darkroom
    for processing film, digital neg making, pt pd and tricolour printing and silver of course... When its done I think will be pretty slick and I am trying my best to make the downstairs not feel like a scene from Silence of the Lambs.

Bob,

Cool setup, I'm sure we could use those plastic trays with handles! I just don't know any plastic welders in New York City, LOL. Could you post your source, or send it to me in a PM? Thanks!

Larry

There will be hundreds of capable people in NY area who can do this.. ask the plastic vendor , they will know, my source is in Toronto and shipping them to New York would be crazy expensive, unless of course you have a Van
    a few tanks of gas and can sit on your ass for 12 hours direct NY to TO(each way) . My sources for plastic are Johnson Plastics, or EMPlastics you need to get to an old school customer service rep and let them know what you want with some diagrams.

You are welcome to visit and have some one here build it for you. But you Americans are pretty smart too.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Bob,

Cool setup, I'm sure we could use those plastic trays with handles! I just don't know any plastic welders in New York City, LOL. Could you post your source, or send it to me in a PM? Thanks!