Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polaroid 8x10 processor question

Polaroid 8x10 processor question

Hi everyone

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the plastic roller mechanism on the ends of the rollers with the 81-12 and 81-22? Mine broke during shipping (81-22) and I’ve got my eye on a 81-12.

Thanks!

John

Re: Polaroid 8x10 processor question

Oh the logical question is why don’t I just buy the 81-12. It’s overseas and I would save a stack on shipping and it’s also the wrong voltage for me in the U.K.

trying to figure out what part you're referring to. do you have a photo of said part, then I can check mine
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

Here's some photos Fred

Thanks

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2.jpg   1.jpg  

This is from my 81-12 processor. Looks very similar to the 81-22 (my guess is, they're the same roller unit)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaroidprocessor1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	242224 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	polaroidprocessor2.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	242223

Fabulous, thanks Fred.

I'd maybe try applying some JB Weld to see if that can make things better. Not sure how much stress the gears are put through though.

The plastic bits on mine shattered and I know it’s happened to others as there was a warning (can’t remember where I read it) saying it’s prudent to remove the roller mechanism and pack it separately because of breakage, presumably because of first-hand experience. I did request this from the guy I bought the machine from but he didn’t pack the rollers as well as he could have. I also found a message posted on Reddit asking if anyone had a file for 3D printing these parts.

I wonder if the plastic used by Polaroid becomes brittle over time. I’m exploring 3d printing myself but it’s a big learning curve. I put a shout-out on Reddit and got a couple of responses and the price seems okay ($75 for the file) but alarm bells rang a bit when the two responders said they could work from photographs. They were overseas, one in South America. I’m not confident that I could measure the parts accurately myself. As you know Fred it’s a fairly complicated part and I doubt it could be modeled from photos. I would much prefer to send the bits I’ve glued together to someone in the U.K. where I live.

I am teaching myself Freecad but am a long way from drawing anything complicated like the parts I need replacing. I want a file rather than a 3D printed part as I think a couple or more materials might need to be tested particularly as the parts are under quite a bit of stress from the big spring under the rollers.

I have seen a ’for parts’ processor but the shipping is high being overseas so have asked if I buy the whole processor can they ship just the just parts I want? I may end up buying another processor. In the future, if I do manage to draw a file myself I’ll make it free to others.

Edited for clarity, the original post was posted via my phone.
    Last edited by MadJake; 10-Sep-2023 at 14:40.

depending on where you are, I'd be looking at a donor processor and use that for parts, even if shipping is a bit $$. there's one on the auction site in the US for a decent price, as-is.

Yes that’s my thinking. I sent a message to one person mid last week but not heard back yet.