Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Microtek M1 user experiences

Re: Microtek M1 user experiences

Well crap, I'm getting the same lines in Silverfast... Hadn't noticed it before because I've been scanning in 5x12 and do not go above 1200 because the files get a little unwieldy...Seems like someone else was having this problem too so it's definitely not a rarity.

Not getting the problem with Scan Whizard so hopefully that means it's just a software issue and no problem with the motors or hardware?

Colin-- I wonder if you could try doing a series of scans at different resolutions (1200, 1400, 1600, etc) in Silverfast to see if you're having the same problem. I can't seem to get a good scan between 1600 and 2400 ppi. It's hard to believe they'd let these packages out of the factory with such a massive problem.

I just got my M1 today. Finished setting it up a little while ago, installed everything, ran two scans with Silverfast at 2400 and guess what? Same damn lines that everyone else is getting. I made sure I was scanning single pass. That is a bit of a pisser.

Just for yuks, I uninstalled Silverfast, went to the Lasersoft website and downloaded the latest and greatest version of Ai Studio, reinstalled and scanned again. Still getting lines in my scans. So much for getting caught up on my scanning this rainy weekend.

Barry, yeah everything above 1200 is buggered in Silverfast. This is the 6.5 revision 4, just came out last week or so. I wonder if they didn't give Lasersoft a decent SDK because the Scanwizard software is working fine at all resolutions.

Have you tried VueScan ?
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 2-Feb-2008 at 06:30.

Yes, but I cant even get Vue Scan to prescan a negative. Can't get beyond a 'Load Film into Scanner' dialogue box. After restarting it, it doesn't even detect the scanner. Is VueScan supporting the autofocus capability now?

Anyway, Scanwizard works. It's a little clunky, but it works fine here. Besides, I never could figure out how to get a 16 bit file with Silverfast SE anyway, even the 48>24 bit RGB option shows up in PS as a 8 bit file. Probably need the AI upgrade, but I'll definitely be waiting on that.

Barry,

I'm out of answers at the moment. I would like to see the full rez versions of those scans and if you wouldn't mind sending them to me on a CD/DVD or uploading them I can see what else I can figure out and what info I can get from Microtek. I'd also like to hear from anyone else who is having the problem. As mentioned, I had smiilar problems using the multiple scan feature of Silverfast Ai Studio and there have been other problems with the Silverfast software.

Those lines look like something goofy is happening with the stepping motors and that could be software or hardware.

Vuescan doesn't support the M1. Even if support is added, I've had some mixed experiences with Vuescan and other scanners. In every case I went back to either the manufacturer's software or Silverfast. Although Silverfast AI isn't perfect, I think it's the best scanning software out there. I bought the M1 only because they offered the Silverfast AI package. I think the M1 requires some real software development as opposed to some quick porting.

We all need to contact Microtek and Silverfast to let them know this is a major problem .

Edit: Ted-- I'll upload a full res jpeg or two to my server and shoot you the link. Thanks for your help.

I posted these same problems weeks ago about my m1 pro. I thought I was the only one having this problem. I have spent hours working with microtek support trying to resolve this problem. I was originally using a dell xps dual core 3ghz with 4 gig ram. The problem showed up on scans over 1600dpi. I had been a microtek 1800f user for several years so I was experienced with silverfast and scanning 4x5 film. I scanned at 1800dpi on my old scanner without problem.

So wanting to get the new mac pro anyway, I bought one of the new 2.8 8 core machines with the basic 2 gig ram set up. Although this performed better with the m1 i was still getting bars and fine lines at high rez. I have received my new ram for my mac and I am now at 8 gig. Guess what, I think the problem is resolved. I made a 2800 dpi scan without lines.

I am convinced that these are all memory issues and that unfortunately this machine requires ridiculous amounts of ram. I am going to spend more time doing test scans and will keep you all posted. So far though I am very disappointed, the 4x5 holders are total crap.

Here are two examples of the problems, the first (creek) is the bars and the second is a 100%crop of the problem with multiscan Ted referred to.