Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod head for 7x17. Suggestions ?

Tripod head for 7x17. Suggestions ?

I'd like a new tripod head for my Wisner 7x17. Large base plate, resonable weight, very precise and gearded in at least one direction. I already have a Ries and a Majestic and both have drawbacks when used with the larger camera although ok with my 8x10. I'm ok tripod-wise, though.

Suggestions ?

Re: Tripod head for 7x17. Suggestions ?

The Arca Swiss Cube is only rated to 8x10. Rated bigger than most wallets too.

You have the biggest Majestic, I assume? If you are shooting only studio, I'd say a Sinar Bron Foba stand, but you probably want to be portable.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

My 7x17 Korona is happy on my Arca-Swiss B2 (as are my heavier cameras), which isn't geared, but is stronger than a Majestic and allows for very precise adjustment. The Wisner is probably heavier than the Korona, but the B2 is rated for 150 lbs.

I was thinking maybe a surplus 5 inch naval gun mount... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Davenport View Post
    I was thinking maybe a surplus 5 inch naval gun mount... :-)
    Mine looks and weighs that way: a Gitzo R4 head. Steady as a rock, now I have to buy a new tripod to replace my Wolf that has 2 broken clamps.

G

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
    I'd like a new tripod head for my Wisner 7x17. Large base plate, resonable weight, very precise and gearded in at least one direction. I already have a Ries and a Majestic and both have drawbacks when used with the larger camera although ok with my 8x10. I'm ok tripod-wise, though.

Suggestions ?
    Daniel,

What does the Wisner weigh? Does it have one or two base plate screw holes? Which Ries head have you tried? What do you not like about that Ries head? What is your main reason you want a geared head. Do you want it for vertical shots?

I use a Ries A250 double tilt on top of a 1950s Ries tripod. 12 pound RH Phillips 7x17, 4.75 pound Ries head, and 13 pound tripod is a bit for an old guy to horse around. I bought the camera from Clay Harmon. Both he and friend Michael Mutmansky used Gitzo G1570M magnesium heads on top of 1325 CF Gitzo tripods. One thing I like about the Gitzo head is that you can use two screws into the camera base plate. You can not on the Ries without drilling a hole in that very expensive head. I haven’t drilled the hole because I don’t want to destroy its resale value.

Please tell us what you decide. I have not used a geared head. That might be a very interesting choice.

John

Have you considered no head at all?

In the desert...

My wisner 7 x 17 weighs a bit over 12 lbs. I use majestic tripods and heads-they are more than adequate. I also use the same tripod for 14 x 17 which is about 33 lbs, also more that adequate even when i crank the center post up which is a great feature and after using it in the field, I would not want to be without and when I use the tilt...both motions geared. The ability to easily with the turn of a crank to add elevation will be much appreciated once you have experienced setting tripod up and putting camera on, then having to adjust your height. Set a ulf camera up on terrain even a few inches off the level and then discover you would like to raise the bed of the camera one inch to one foot....a simple process with the majestic.
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 25-Jan-2008 at 16:42. Reason: spelun and stuff

I have the larger ries head for my tripod which works well for my 7x17. It is heavy, but i am even comfortable with verticals. I also would strongly recommend a NON ball head tripod for the larger camera...imo.

SF Bay Area 94303

I liked the one Richard Ritter used in his video on ULF. Very inexpensive. The video is highly recommended.
    K