Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 750mm Apo-Germinar

Re: 750mm Apo-Germinar

Charles,

I am not sure whether I understood your question .. as you close under constant lighting condtions the iris by one f-stop, say from f=16 to F=22 you have to double your exposure time e.g. from 1/60 sec to 1/30 sec .. with further closing the iris you will end at f=128 and exposure time of 1 second .. hope I made no mistake .. 1 second is still too short than to make clouds disappear from the scene. .. if that was your question.?

Best

Joerg.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel BIGLER View Post
    Joerg Krusche and his 750mm Apo Germinar in action at the 2006 LF conference in Fontfroide abbey, France
    http://farm1.static.flickr.com/152/3...1a9dca_b_d.jpg
    Emmanuel,

those were happy days at Frontfroide that I will never forget and I look forward to enjoy hopefully soon again the beauty of your country and the hospitality of your LF group.

Joerg

Are there any syllabus, or printouts about the 2006 conference in Fontfroide? When is the next conference planned?

Joerg, what an interesting picture posted by Emmanuel, what type of bellows are these?

Quote Originally Posted by Joerg Krusche View Post
    Charles,

I am not sure whether I understood your question .. as you close under constant lighting condtions the iris by one f-stop, say from f=16 to F=22 you have to double your exposure time e.g. from 1/60 sec to 1/30 sec .. with further closing the iris you will end at f=128 and exposure time of 1 second .. hope I made no mistake .. 1 second is still too short than to make clouds disappear from the scene. .. if that was your question.?

Best

Joerg.
    That is the correct concept, yes. In bright sunlight, if you want clouds to disappear, then you will have to use a neutral density filter to get your exposure times very long.
    If you use an ISO 25 film, your outside sunny starter exposure would be 1/25 (round up to 1/30) @ f16, so at F128 you would have an exposure of 1 sec. "IF" your film does not have reciprocity, and "IF" the lens transmits "true" f128 when set to f128.

Re: 750mm Apo-Germinar and 2006 Fontfoide conference

Are there any syllabus, or printouts about the 2006 conference in Fontfroide?
    Unfortunately, not as far as the formal technical sessions are concerned.
    I had prepared with Henri Gaud something on "bokeh" so I can get the slides if you wish, but it is in French !
    There was a really interesting presentation by Mr. Régis Martin, chief architect of the French historical buildings (who was in charge of Fontfroide abbey for several years) about the use of photography in the preservation and renovation and documentation of historical monuments.

There was an informal and very friendly trade show and a really fruitful informal meeting between amateur camera builders, etc...

And we had the privilege to meet Mr. and Mrs Krusche, discover the 750 apo germinar and its outstanding sharpness even at infinity, be converted by propagandists of the Church of the Holy Compur Electronic Five etc... (I'm not yet converted to the 18x24 cm Plaubel Monorail, but who knows ? )

We could meet and admire the work of the Swiss people of Atelier de Saint Prex, one of the rare places in Europe where the photogravure technique is maintained to the highest level.

HOWEVER ! There is something really substantial that has been produced for the conferece : a book.
    It is a collective workabout Fontfroide abbey by 12 photographers, working with medium and large format cameras and different techniques, attempting to renew the classical genre of pictures taken in an abbey.

The reference to the book is here and you can get it through some well-know on-line bookstsores.
    Or contact me if you have trouble to get it.

Fontfroide(s) : Douze regards/twelve viewpoints
    bi-lingual text in French and English, 204 pages
    Published by : Editions Gaud (2006)
    ISBN-10: 2840801604 / ISBN-13: 978-2840801603

Quote Originally Posted by mosndup View Post
    Joerg, what an interesting picture posted by Emmanuel, what type of bellows are these?

Charles,

on that occasion I am using just one tripod, a Berlebach UNi-6, I believe this is the correct name, and it works if there is very little wind, today I prefer two tripods though, but they are lighter.

On the pic is shown the 750 lens mounted before the 5FS shutter and showing the control unit. The camera is a Plaubel Peco Profia which holds the lens on the front standard. The bellows is the standard 4x5 - 8x10 bellows.

@ Emmanuel

I will certainly try to be present this year in Bourges/2008 .. no need to take a note in my calender .. I will not forget it !!

Joerg

[dogression] from 750mm Apo-Germinar to french LF conference, October 2008

Bourges/2008
    The dates are decided for the French LF conference this year
    Organised by the http://www.galerie-photo.com volunteers in Bourges, France this autum.
    Conference dates : Friday 10, Saturday 11 and Sunday , October 12 2008.
    Details when known will be posted here on the appropriate forum.

The Bourges conference will be a good opportunity to meet a large group of French LF aficionados.
    Including, hopefully, Joerg "Germinar" Krusche of course and many other friends not scared by the idea of coming to France in person

Nice to know that a conference will ocur in France next autum.
    Thanks to you all for your help, if my future LF pictures are nice I will post them somewhere.

(@Emmanuel so I can get the slides if you wish, but it is in French
    I am also french so if you have time to post them somewhere on the net or mail them to me at 'mosndup arobas gmail dot com' I would appreciate.)

To continue on the LF discussion and as I am new to LF I am wondering how to solve the following issue: I am going by the end of February in the french Alps and I want to picture the Mont-Blanc from the top of a Meribel hill with the Germinar. All my equipment is dismantled in a huge Stormcase. I'll have to open the case and remount the camera in the wild (it will be a sunny day, but the temp is near or below zero), take my pictures and re-put everything back in the case, in an order that make everything to fit in the case (it is tight). What do the masters recommend, not to loose anything in the snow, how does react this type of equipment in the cold etc...

(@Emmanuel so I can get the slides if you wish ...I am also french so if you have time to post them somewhere
    PM sent