Page 651 of 754 FirstFirst ... 151551601641649650651652653661701751 ... LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,510 of 7534

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lloyd View Post
    Is that down around Venice, LA? The location looks familiar.
    No, its a small lake west of Baton Rouge south of I-10 somewhere. Can remember the name of it.

Jeffery Dale Welker

At 9,560' in elevation, this old snag has seen some severe weather - both winter and summer. Over the decades it survived everything Mother Nature could invoke and grew to be a tall sentinel overlooking the once verdant Paddy Creek drainage on the west flank of Escudilla Mountain. However, in 2011 the Wallow Wild Fire killed much of the vegetation on the mountain, including this monarch. While certainly not as regal as before, he still stands tall with the thousands of other aspen, spruce, and pine skeletons as a reminder to what was. I was very lucky and caught a ¾ moon moving across the sky at sunset. Sometimes things work out. Click on image for higher resolution on my Flickr page.

PADDY CREEK SNAG and MOON - Escudilla Mountain, Arizona

Camera: Arca-Swiss 4x5, Developer: Ilford Ilfotch DDX, Exposure: 1/2 sec @ F/32, Film: Illford FP4+, Filter: B+W #16 Orange, ISO 100, Lens: Nikon Nikkor-SW 120mm f/8, Scan: Epson V850, SP-445 Compact 4x5 Film Processing System
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Nice one, I was just admiring that image and location on Instagram. Like it even better in full 4x5 size.

Another image from the Bamboo Forest:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The tree just a few corners from my home. 4x5 HP5+ 400 N+2 90mm Grandago -N f6.8 1/30 sec. f22
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V800 4x5 2400 dpi Sepia ?????? WM Hp5+400 N+2.jpg  

My second or third 4x5 shot and first post here. I don't live anywhere spectacular, but trees are beautiful beings and fortunately there are plenty characterful ones here in Hertfordshire, England.
    I wanted a high key image with low contrast and Fomapan 100 seems to work for this if exposed well.

Taken on my Ebony 45SU with 125mm Fujinon CM 125mm/5.6 @ f16, on Fomapan 100 developed in Rodinal 1:50, scanned on Epson V800

Sepia half tone added in LR, I usually selenium + sepia tone my prints. Silver gelatin print pending....waiting to get a 4x5 enlarger!
    Last edited by faraz; 4-Aug-2020 at 05:33.

Jeffery Dale Welker

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Nice one, I was just admiring that image and location on Instagram. Like it even better in full 4x5 size.
    Thank you for the kind words Bryan.
    "I have this feeling of walking around for days with the wind knocked out of me." - Jim Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post

My second or third 4x5 shot and first post here. I don't live anywhere spectacular, but trees are beautiful beings and fortunately there are plenty characterful ones here in Hertfordshire, England.
    I wanted a high key image with low contrast and Fomapan 100 seems to work for this if exposed well.

Taken on my Ebony 45SU with 125mm Fujinon CM 125mm/5.6 @ f16, on Fomapan 100 developed in Rodinal 1:50, scanned on Epson V800

Sepia half tone added in LR, I usually selenium + sepia tone my prints. Silver gelatin print pending....waiting to get a 4x5 enlarger!
    Nice one Faraz, looks like you are off to a good start in large format.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    Nice one Faraz
    +1...wonderful composition and processing--the high key approach works really well. (BTW, concerning the lack of "grand" landscapes in your neck of the woods, personally I'm almost always drawn to photos taken in the UK. Call it ancestral memory perhaps--or maybe it's just the angle of the sun in high latitudes--but I don't think you'll want for subjects.)

Bizarrely there are actually 2 sequoias close to where I live. I assume an enthusiastic Victorian planted them. They haven't reached the height of their US cousins but still nice to have little "grandness" from across the pond in my backyard

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    Bizarrely there are actually 2 sequoias close to where I live.
    Very cool--with the right grow-site, y'all might have to equip with aircraft warning lights in a few decades. (FWIW, it's the Scottish palm trees that have always made me chuckle.)

At any rate, there was of course much to-ing and fro-ing of rootstocks between Britain and her American colonies back in the day, much of it funneled through a Quaker mafia made up of merchants like Peter Collinson and physician John Fothergill, who distributed the finds of their man-on-the-ground, Pennsylvanian John Bartram, to the moneyed elite of the day.