Page 687 of 754 FirstFirst ... 187587637677685686687688689697737 ... LastLast
Results 6,861 to 6,870 of 7534

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I just bought the ChmromoGraphica 5x7 dry plate holder and went down to the Marys River at 6 AM this morning with the Intrepid 5x7 to try it out. (I've had the Intrepid 5x7 for about 2 weeks now, and although I have NOT been pleased with the design and build of the 2018 8x10 Intrepid, this new 5x7 is great) The dark slides are stiff getting them in and out, but I expect that will improve with use.
    This is a home made dry plate glass negative, using the Foma Photo Emulsion, rated at 1 ASA and exposure time doubled to hopefully account for reciprocity. This was a 3 minute exposure at f16, using the 210mm Schneider Symmar.
    Plate processed in XF-37 diluted 1:4, for 2 minutes. It gave me good shadow detail without making the brighter tones unusable. I will continue to use FX-37 with the Foma plates to see how that goes. At the moment I think it looks very promising.

Awesome well executed image. Your shadows are spot on and your exposure choices turned out perfectly. Appears to be a very modest amount of contrast reduction on the far left and right side of the image that you can resolve. Not sure if it is an exposure, film holder or development issue. Very minor issue all things considered. Bravo!

PaulBarden - that is your best roots shot yet that I have seen. love it. Great job with dry plate and developer combo too.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mt Evans Bristlecone Pine.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	217733

Mt. Evans Colorado Bristlecone Pine. 8x10 contact print.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post

Very well done Michael.
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian

Great story Paul, artistically as well as technically!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Nice! What Medusa might look like if she were a tree.

Did you hear the tree take any refreshing slurps?

I'm curious if the root system had once been subterranean, but now exposed due to bank-side erosion.
    Exactly! I am fascinated by the Alder's Medusa-like root patterns. Most examples of this species living on the riverbanks around here display their roots this way. Its VERY heavy clay (Mount Mazama deposits, many feet thick) and so the riverbank erodes very slowly. I expect there has been some erosion that exposed more root than there was (the upper 1/3 center shows roots suspended in air) but its taken decades to happen. Curiously, these trees spend half the year submerged 2/3 of the way up their trunks when the river fills for the wet half of the year. Makes me wonder how/why they adapted to do this. Probably because they are water-hungry, and there's advantage to being in the presence of abundant moisture year round. Where the roots go under the water surface, you see a dense mat of fresh roots, sending out fibrous new growth with bright meristem tips, waving in the water. Its all quite fascinating.

Awesome well executed image. Your shadows are spot on and your exposure choices turned out perfectly. Appears to be a very modest amount of contrast reduction on the far left and right side of the image that you can resolve. Not sure if it is an exposure, film holder or development issue. Very minor issue all things considered. Bravo!

Thanks Michael. Yes, there appears to be some differences in contrast/density at the edges, but that's acceptable - this is home-made dry plate afterall. I'm not looking for "flawless" results. Your Bristlecone Pine photograph looks amazing! I bet that print is beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by esearing View Post
    PaulBarden - that is your best roots shot yet that I have seen. love it. Great job with dry plate and developer combo too.
    Thanks very much! I think this is potentially a very useful combination of technologies.

Quote Originally Posted by otto.f View Post
    Great story Paul, artistically as well as technically!
    Thanks very much, Otto! I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I just bought the ChmromoGraphica 5x7 dry plate holder and went down to the Marys River at 6 AM this morning with the Intrepid 5x7 to try it out. (I've had the Intrepid 5x7 for about 2 weeks now, and although I have NOT been pleased with the design and build of the 2018 8x10 Intrepid, this new 5x7 is great) The dark slides are stiff getting them in and out, but I expect that will improve with use.
    This is a home made dry plate glass negative, using the Foma Photo Emulsion, rated at 1 ASA and exposure time doubled to hopefully account for reciprocity. This was a 3 minute exposure at f16, using the 210mm Schneider Symmar.
    Plate processed in XF-37 diluted 1:4, for 2 minutes. It gave me good shadow detail without making the brighter tones unusable. I will continue to use FX-37 with the Foma plates to see how that goes. At the moment I think it looks very promising.
    I am quite enamored by your wet plate techniques and the 3D quality of the pictures with roots. Fascinating images as well as technique that you have adopted!
    I am glad to hear that you are happy with your Intrepid 5x7. I caught the 5x7 bug and I am waiting for the same camera to arrive, hopefully soon. Once I get familiar with the 5x7 films, I am tempted to learn from you and try this wet plate technique.

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    I am quite enamored by your wet plate techniques and the 3D quality of the pictures with roots. Fascinating images as well as technique that you have adopted!
    I am glad to hear that you are happy with your Intrepid 5x7. I caught the 5x7 bug and I am waiting for the same camera to arrive, hopefully soon. Once I get familiar with the 5x7 films, I am tempted to learn from you and try this wet plate technique.
    Thanks, glad you are enjoying the work I do!
    I hope you'll like the Intrepid 5x7 - its a big improvement over their designs from 3 years ago (I have the 2018 Intrepid 8x10 and it had some really big problems that required requesting new parts from Intrepid to fix. I am not impressed with that camera). Its not perfect, but its very usable and versatile, with a number of very nice improvements to its build and function.

About learning wet plate collodion: find someone in your area and take a workshop. If you are in fact in Colorado, you have one of the best teachers in America right in your back yard: Quinn Jacobson. I don't know if he's teaching workshops again yet. Check his web site (I'm assuming he's not yet doing workshops, so you can get a copy of his book and that will teach you a LOT). If you decide to pursue the wet plate technique, feel free to ask me for help if you need it.

Makina II HRU Handheld by Nokton48, on Flickr

6.5x9cm Plaubel Makina II HANDHELD Fuji HRU cut from 8x10. RADA plate holder with film insert, Plaubel Yellow filter. 1/200 at f6. 5x7 Aristo #2 Omega DII 4x5 glass carrier Multigrade developer. I produced four perfect negatives from this shoot. Successful test with no scratches. This film scratches very easily.

For many decades the land my house sits on was an apple orchard. Here is one of the original trees, gone wild
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Great image, Michael

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk