Page 630 of 755 FirstFirst ... 130530580620628629630631632640680730 ... LastLast
Results 6,291 to 6,300 of 7547

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Cornell View Post
    I pretty much shoot portraits exclusively, but lo and behold, I made a picture of a tree. This is at Rosario Beach on Fidalgo Island. If you saw the movie Captain Fantastic, this is the cliffside where they had the funeral pyre at the end of that movie. It's right on my way to work.

Attachment 200332

8x10 Kodak Master Camera + 10" Wollensak Vitax

Cameron Cornell
    Washington State
    analogportraiture.com
    instagram.com/papacornell
    I love that -- well done.

Thank you, Ben. The tree and my friend Melanie and the lens get 88% of the credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Cornell View Post
    I pretty much shoot portraits exclusively, but lo and behold, I made a picture of a tree. This is at Rosario Beach on Fidalgo Island. If you saw the movie Captain Fantastic, this is the cliffside where they had the funeral pyre at the end of that movie. It's right on my way to work.

Attachment 200332

8x10 Kodak Master Camera + 10" Wollensak Vitax

Cameron Cornell
    Washington State
    analogportraiture.com
    instagram.com/papacornell
    Very nice photograph!

Ambergate, Derbyshire by Andy, on Flickr
    Wind. Mpp, 150 Symmar, Fp4+,ID-11 stock.

That's quite impressive--Gerald Manley Hopkins would be proud. (FWIW, you'll find similar scenes up on the no-longer-quite-so-grassy balds here in Appalachia, though you might be in for a bit of a stroll.)

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    That's quite impressive--Gerald Manley Hopkins would be proud. (FWIW, you'll find similar scenes up on the no-longer-quite-so-grassy balds here in Appalachia, though you might be in for a bit of a stroll.)
    Thanks CB! I don't mind a stroll if there are landscapes to be found.So where are we talking about exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Tymon View Post
    So where are we talking about exactly?
    I think you have mostly heath balds there in Virginia, which in my experience are mostly good for thrashing around in laurel and irritating sunning timber rattlers. The true "grassy" balds start a little further west on the AT, with the three balds on Roan Mountain probably being the most accessible to you. For my purposes here in the GSMNP, Russell Field--which is an un-managed bald slowly going back to forest--and Spence Field are wonderful, airy places to explore, with pretty much the same assemblage of vegetation there in your picture from Ambergate. (I.e. birches and serviceberry, with hawthorn being dominate still further west on Gregory Bald.)

(FWIW, if you're playing tour guide in Gatlinburg, Andrews Bald is quite accessible when Clingman's Dome Road is open, usually the first week of April...it's a favorite picnic spot for my wife and me, with great views into the Alarkas to the south and usually a family group of kestrels hawking grasshoppers in the skies above.)

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I think you have mostly heath balds there in Virginia, which in my experience are mostly good for thrashing around in laurel and irritating sunning timber rattlers. The true "grassy" balds start a little further west on the AT, with the three balds on Roan Mountain probably being the most accessible to you. For my purposes here in the GSMNP, Russell Field--which is an un-managed bald slowly going back to forest--and Spence Field are wonderful, airy places to explore, with pretty much the same assemblage of vegetation there in your picture from Ambergate. (I.e. birches and serviceberry, with hawthorn being dominate still further west on Gregory Bald.)

(FWIW, if you're playing tour guide in Gatlinburg, Andrews Bald is quite accessible when Clingman's Dome Road is open, usually the first week of April...it's a favorite picnic spot for my wife and me, with great views into the Alarkas to the south and usually a family group of kestrels hawking grasshoppers in the skies above.)
    Ah thanks for the info, I shall check these places out!

img023a3 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

Icy branches. Beech Hill, Rockport Maine. yesterday. 4x5 speed graphic and aero ektar. tmy2 in pyrocat hdc.

Ilford FP4+ by John tomasella, on Flickr

A scan from a dark room print. Ilford FP4+ with a green filter. It was around mid day so I printed with split contrast. Contrast 0 at 10 seconds and contrast 2 1/2 at 9 seconds.