Page 653 of 754 FirstFirst ... 153553603643651652653654655663703753 ... LastLast
Results 6,521 to 6,530 of 7535

Thread: post your trees!

Re: post your trees!

There used to be a guy on the forums who sometimes used the name Tim Atherton. He once described it as taking a picture of a tree that’s behind another tree, that’s behind a bush.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    He once described it as taking a picture of a tree that’s behind another tree, that’s behind a bush.
    Ha, thanks Bryan--I'm starting to think the whole "plane-of-focus" concept is just another species of Yankee propaganda. Otherwise, that's a great quote! I know of another photographer who described shooting in the Eastern Woodlands like doing interior architecture work: definitely have to up my wide angle/movement game.

This oak is close to my summer house on the west coast of Sweden.
    We call it the "chained oak" since it's got som human help to survive

Intrepid 4x5 mark IV & Fomapan 400. Can't remember the lens but probably a Symmar 135/5.6

Uprooted tree, taken on my Ebony 45su with Fuji CM-W 125mm/f5.6 at f45 on Tmax 100

Uprooted by pixelscape, on Flickr

I'm liking this as well--great light! As someone whose tastes run toward the abstract
    I'm even seeing some nice crops as well--a square on the right side, and even a chopped 1:2 tight against the lower right corner.

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    I'm liking this as well--great light! As someone whose tastes run toward the abstract
    I'm even seeing some nice crops as well--a square on the right side, and even a chopped 1:2 tight against the lower right corner.
    I've been wanting to return and take this 5x8" (masked 8x10) to achieve a comp similar to your 1:2 suggestion. But it's been just too hot to even think about it. Faffing around with the 8x10 in that heat would be unbearable!

I'm working on a project of 5x8" contact prints - so cropping the 4x5 wouldn't cut it, I need to go back...

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    I'm working on a project of 5x8" contact prints
    Excellent, I'll be very interested in what you find about the relationship between scale and subject matter. I'll hopefully be making my first 5x7 contact prints in the upcoming months and am wondering how my extremely detailed/fractal scenes will translate. It's also on my mind to try to contact print those negs on 8x10 paper using a lith tape mask--you're really making the case for large white borders here.

At any rate, a captivating Flickr stream as well--you've accumulated more frequent flier miles than I have at the very least!

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Excellent, I'll be very interested in what you find about the relationship between scale and subject matter. I'll hopefully be making my first 5x7 contact prints in the upcoming months and am wondering how my extremely detailed/fractal scenes will translate. It's also on my mind to try to contact print those negs on 8x10 paper using a lith tape mask--you're really making the case for large white borders here.
    I'm actually masking to expose 2 x 5x8" on a single 8x10" sheet. Just developed my first sheet and I double exposed (more mental focus needed when shooting!), the second sheet was ok, 2 exposures nicely on a single sheet. I think I've figured out a system for remembering which half is already exposed, but the process is fraught with peril.

Quote Originally Posted by faraz View Post
    2 exposures nicely on a single sheet.
    Excellent, especially with Ilford at least going for a fiver per sheet!

Two views of the same tree. Or the remains of it, anyway.

Big Talbot Island State Park - Bluffs Trail, or "Boneyard Beach"
    Near Jacksonville, Florida
    Mercury 4x5, 47mm XL, T-Max 100, Pyrocat:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome