Thread: Heidelberg Linoscan 1400?

Heidelberg Linoscan 1400?

Is this older scanner any good...?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Re: Heidelberg Linoscan 1400?

Tim, it's a relative question. In its time it was ok and it can deliver a scan that will give you a decent 8x10 but it is not up to the performance of any of today's consumer scanners.

Is it a version of the Umax Powerlook III (or vice versa?)

(I just saw a store demo one for sale for $99.00 is all...)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Yes, it is a version of the Powerlook III. Different software (and maybe firmware but I don't t remember). I used to own a Powerlook III and it did ok for its time. A "demo" for 99.00 seems strange to me since it hasn't been manufactured for 4-5 years. If you are going to buy a used scanner I can think of lots of better buys. Even a new Microtek i800 for around 350 makes more sense IMO.

Probably not a good idea to touch one without a warranty. I know MPG Systems does refurbs on most Linotype and Heidelberg scanners, and the occasional UMAX. If it is from them, then no problem buying it, they are a good and reputable company.

Software is a separate issue. If they include LinoScan or LinoColor Elite, then not so bad a deal. SilverFast is another option, though unfortunately a bit pricey for such an old scanner.

Performance wise, you can improve on the resolution with a more modern low to mid range scanner. However, the Dmax performance I have not seen matched by current low to mid range scanners. If you want to scan transparencies, then more Dmax can help pull out those shadow details. If you are only scanning negatives, then it does not make as much difference.

In build quality, they are little different from a PowerLook III, though they were more carefully put together, calibrated, and more accurate. Think of what Linhof and Sinar do with branded lenses, and this is sort of what Heidelberg did with some of their scanners.

Anyway, I used one of these almost from the time they came out, and thought it was quite a good scanner. You absolutely need the software with it, or need to budget SilverFast. Unfortunately, without the software, without a warranty, or throwing in the price of SilverFast, I would agree with Ted that there are other better buys out there.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Also can use Vuescan (www.hamrick.com) as scanning software.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Just waiting to be developed..

I would stay away from any linotype branded equipment from that long ago.
    Ive had friends in the pre press biz forever complain about them. They have/had allot of hardware problems.
    The drum scanner were great machines and rarely had problem. Just the flatbeds had problems. I think we had one for a while and it died rather quickly. No spare parts available.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express