Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix vs Ritter ULF

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Chamonix vs Ritter ULF

Geeze, I hate starting threads like this BUT...

For those of you who have seen one or even read enough to have even a tentative opinion, what are the pros and cons for these two brands in the 16x20/12x20/20x24 formats. I have a friend (me) who is interested in one of those formats from one of those 2 companies. I am talking about things like cost, weight, built quality...or if you want to be blunt about it, which 20x24 would you buy and why?
    Thanks to all and have a great big-camera year!

Richard K.

Re: Chamonix vs Ritter ULF

Thanks for the post Richard, I was thinking it would be nice if someone that had used one of the Ritter cameras would post their thoughts on operatiing the camera. I did read Michael M's review when it came out in VC.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

If you buy Richard's video instruction manual (about $15), you will get a very good feel for his design, its flexibility, and good and bad features.

On the topic of the Chamonix anybody know if a longer bellows [even with trading off the wide end] would be possible?

For example the 8x20 bellows range is 100mm to 690mm. My understanding is the 11x14 will be similar. What's the point? Even if you stick an 8x10 reducing back on the thing 100mm is WIDE.

BTW are things like reducing backs available?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    On the topic of the Chamonix anybody know if a longer bellows [even with trading off the wide end] would be possible?

For example the 8x20 bellows range is 100mm to 690mm. My understanding is the 11x14 will be similar. What's the point? Even if you stick an 8x10 reducing back on the thing 100mm is WIDE.

BTW are things like reducing backs available?
    1. 690mm is the max extension of the camera. if you need longer bellow, looking for an extension accessory, like the one in the FS section a few month ago.
    2. reducing back is available, last time I checked they have 810 to 410 reduce back in stock.

But is it possible to order the cameras with longer bellows?

How willing is the factory to come up with reducing backs and holders to match? Would something like a 7x11 or 5.5x14 be possible for the 11x14 camera?

How willing is the factory to come up with reducing backs and holders to match? Would something like a 7x11 or 5.5x14 be possible for the 11x14 camera?
    that you got to ask hugo.

Nick,

Chamonix can tailor make any camera you want. We have even made a 5x14" for our Jim Galli with a big Kodak 2D front. We are currently making a reversable 20x24 camera with a 60" bellows and an extention rack.

Yes, reducing backs and holders too. We are actually making some 5.5x14 holders for a customer here as we speak.

I am heading out for a lunch and I can discuss theses in details with you in PMs later today.

Thanks.
    Hugo

Thanks. sounds interesting.

No problem on longer or shorter bellows. This would add up to 5 weeks on the delivery of a camera,50 inches is about the limit.

Want to change to a different size no problem. You can buy a second back and even chance over in the field in less then 5 minutes. A camera and a second back weigh around 22 pounds that is the average weight of most ULF cameras.

A 11 x 14 camera with a 7 x 11 or a 5 .5 x 14 back, just supply the holders and a back can be made. Allow up to 8 weeks.

Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net