Hi All,

I'm relatively new to this forum and thought I would reach out for some advice from those of you scanning B&W images on an Epson 4990.

I really believe this B&W conversion stuff is important! So, I'm developing a personalized workflow and settings for B&W conversion on the Epson 4990.

One segment of testing includes scanning in 48 bit RGB mode and converting the image file to B&W in PS (I'm also comparing 16bit Grayscale separately). All the input and output parameters are held constant; but, I find a fair amount of difference between the following:

Technique I: In channels mode, create a copy of the Green channel and discard all but the Green Copy channel. Then, reselect image mode and convert from multichannel to Grayscale. I appreciate Kirk's feedback regarding selection of the Green channel from 4990 scans.

Technique II: Convert the image to LAB mode. In channels, delete the B channel and Alpha2 channel. Then, change the image to Grayscale mode.

Technique III: Standard Channel Mixer mode in PS. I preferred the first two.

For those of you who have compared your results using these techniques--which have provided you the most visually "right" B&W image conversions in 48 bit RGB mode?