Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arca Swiss 6x9 rollfilm back for Arca Swiss Field Camera

Arca Swiss 6x9 rollfilm back for Arca Swiss Field Camera

I'm interested in a roll film back mainly for macro photography. Looking at B&H's website, it appears as though the Arca Swiss 6x9 roll film back is just a rebadged Horseman with an extra $250 added. Exactly what are you getting for that extra $250. Does Arca make any mods for better film flatness? Or tighter tolerances on the position of the film plane when the back is attached to Arca Swiss cameras?

Re: Arca Swiss 6x9 rollfilm back for Arca Swiss Field Camera

Linhof makes the tightest spec ones with the flattest film characteristics. But they are also the most expensive.

KEH sometimes have rollfilm backs in their used gear selection. I got my Linhof Super Rollex from them, and it has worked extremely well without any problems.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

I don't know the exact answer to whether Arca-Swiss make any modifications or not, but I have a couple of each (Horseman and Arca) and they look identical inside and out (except for the sticker).

I have never had any particular film flatness issue with either one and I use them interchangeably, although one suspects that it is not perfect due to the visible film curl when the darkslide is out.

Phil

Cheers Gordon. What is a reasonable price for a used Super Rollex in Mint condition?

Hi JP,

Like Gordon, I also use a Linhof Super Rollex roll film holder... and have done so on my Sinar for years. IMHO, they're the best on the market. The lever action is very smooth and not jerky like others I've had in the past.

[You can also find the "knob" version but I think they're quite a bit older than the lever version. Perhaps, Bob can confirm this.]

If you're looking for a used one... they can certainly be had for a very, very reasonable price.

Check with Jim at www.mpex.com or Jeff at www.badgergraphic.com.

Lastly, they're extremely well-built and made to last!

Cheers

PS: I've seen them go between $175 to $250 on the bay.
    Life in the fast lane!

Mint condition Linhof Super Rollex . . . probably anything under $US 400 would be a good deal. The tan leather versions tend to be the older style than the black leather versions. There are two lever wind versions, one with a flip up knob at the lever tip, and the other more like the modern version with a solid metal lever. The really old knob wind versions are best avoided, both due to age, and because the design tends not to be as even in film frame spacing as these see more usage.

Anyway, it appears that KEH has one in stock in EX- condition. This is a newer style lever wind with black leather covering. When you see eight (8) shots, that means their 6x9 version, and ten (10) shots would be the 56mm by 72mm or 6x7 (which is what I use now).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Cheers gentlemen. Gordon, I'm going to place the order tomorrow with KEH.

As an aside, is it necessary to perform any sort of calibration (focus offset) for the film plane? Apologies for the newbie question, but this is my first roll back for a 4x5.

OTOH, you can buy a new Horseman 6x9 back from Midwest for the same price as a used Super Role. I have used both Linhof and Horseman backs and actually prefer the Hrseman. While agreeing that the Linhof likely has tighter tolerances I have ever seen any problems with the Horseman.

On the Linhof Super Rollex backs, there is a slot like hole in the top centre of the backing plate. When you load the film, you should be able to see the arrow on the paper through that hole. If you do that, then you should be able to get even frame spacing, and get all eight shots before running off the edge of the roll. You might want to use a wasted/expired roll for practice, just to be sure you are loading it properly. Remember not to force any of the controls; the back should work very smoothly without undue effort required.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography