Thread: Pinhole camera

Scott Brewer

Pinhole camera

Has anyone tried one of the pinhole cameras B and H sells? If so which "lens"? Do you know if you can use ready load holders?

Thanks

Scott

Re: Pinhole camera

Do you mean the Santa Barbara, the Daylab or the Lomographic one?

For all of the Santa Barbara ones they list, they give the effective focal length and from the format you can decide if it is wide, normal, "tele" etc.

And I believe all the wooden ones require a film holder of the appropriate size (4x5, 5x7, 8x10 etc). If they will accept a Polaroid 545 (in the case of the 4x5 ones) then they should also accept a ReadyLoad.

I'm sure the makers of the Santa Barbara cameras have a web site, perhaps more information would be forthcoming there.

Scott Brewer

I was thinking of the Santa Barbara's (esp. the 255mm). I was hoping someone would have first hand knowledge of using them.

Scott

Here's a good resource: http://www.pinholeresource.com/agora...roduct=Cameras

If you plan to use a high speed film, a real shutter's almost mandatory, since exposures are typically 1/8 - 1/2 sec. and tough to gauge by hand.

I'm currently borrowing a Zero 2000 camera and, if I continue with pinholes, will probably buy a shutter/pinhole unit for my own 4 X 5 camera.

i have not used the focal length you ask of, but i use the 75mm baltic birch model constantly. love it!! it does accept polaroid, readyload and standard film holders. they are held in place with two wooden dowels. their hold is secure and i have never had any problems. the santa barbara cameras are super easy to use and inexpensive, depending upon the wood option you choose.
    if you are quite serious about pinhole or grow addicted to the medium, you might also want to check out zeroimage.com. their selection and quality is outstanding.

i shoot a lot of pinhole photos. i will have to disagree with Dick. you very seldom need a "real" shutter even with 400-800 speed film due to reciprocity. at higher ASA you may need about 1/30 but that is pretty easy to do "by hand/hat". most of my shutter speeds are 2 sec and more. typically 8-10 seconds for NPS 160 which has some fairly good reciprocity characteristics.

i use 25mm, 50mm and 75mm on my 4x5. i love the 25mm effect. i used it a lot at first, but now i find myself using the 75mm the most. i use 75mm on my 6x6 folder with nice results (it is about a "normal" hole to film). i have also used 4 inch on my 8x10. i have never used anything longer than what i have just said.

for the prices of the SB you may want to have a look at the zero image stuff. i have one. it is very nice, functions well, and comes with perfect holes. also go over to f295.org. they are great foils and have all kinds of helpful info.

enjoy.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery