Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: coping with rain

coping with rain

I'm getting a bit fed up of my filters, GG and contents of my bag getting covered in rain when I'm out (a common problem in the UK!) and my thoughts have turned to umbrellas.
    I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere of a set up where an umbrella is attached to the tripod somehow, but I'd imagine that's not going to help with camera shake at all, my tripod is on the edge of being too light for LF anyway so a small sail probably won't help!

So I was wondering if anyone here has any alternative set ups? I was considering a fishing umbrella, anyone use one of those? Or any other ideas?

The solution needs to be as light as possible 'cause it'll need to strap to my backpack.

And is it possible to say 'umbrella' without saying 'ella, ella' afterwards?!?

Thanks for any ideas

Re: coping with rain

I've seen hats that incorporate an umbrella of sorts, but that might be a bit cumbersome while focusing and such. Another thought is to pack a very lightweight light stand to which an umbrella could be attached. One idea I've considered in the past is to buy one of those phone booth sized collapsable hunting blinds. You could set up in an entirely rainproof enclosure with one of those. I'm not certain of how compact they fold, but it might be worth whatever extra weight they add to have total protection. Take a look at this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ark_Green.html

As to your last question, I suppose you could just say bumbershoot!

Would a clear plastic painter's drop cloth work? Here in the states at Walmart you get them quite large for only a couple of dollars and they can be cut down to whatever size you might wish to carry. While they aren't as tough as mylar, they do stand up well to walking on while painting. They are also available in a couple of thicknesses.

You might even make detachable wire frames to fit on the front and back standards of your camera to keep the plastic above your working areas and attach those with basic office clips. Another sheet with weighted corners could lay over your bag to keep contents relatively dry and not be too likely to go sailing off in the breeze.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I don't let minor precip keep me from working in the field. I have some thick 4 mil polyethelene bags I used to store medium sized prints in that works well with my camera atop the big Gitzo. Lightweight plastic bags tend to be awkward, especially in the wind while 4 mil behaves and is durable. In the above pic taken at El Capitan Meadow last year, one will note a thin red something hanging down below that bag. Its one of those mini-bunji cords with a piece of duct tape in the middle taping it to the bottom edge of that bag. Thus I can easily wrap it around a tripod leg to keep the wind from moving it about. When I take it off after say it has gotten wet, it goes into an open bag externally attached to my big camera daypack. Thus is ready at hand to put on and store while not getting the rest of my gear wet. I also have some compact sheets of synthetic chamois useful for drying things off. One of the 4x5 pics I nailed last winter while playing this game taking the bag on and off as snow showers came and went was this pic below of El Capitan:

Ebony's (scroll down) lens shade clip and all weather hood looks pretty functional, was thinking about making something similar. As it stands I use a compendium to keep rain drops off the lens, and just dry everything off when I get indoors.

Cut the corner off of a large garbage bag, stick a lens hood through the opening, and hold them together with a rubber band or duct tape. You'll also want something to plug the lens hood opening while waiting for a shot in driving rain.

Great image of El Capitan David. I like clouds dancing around the peak.
    Ron McElroy
    Memphis

I have come to realize shooting in hostile weather can produce some amazing light and images. I have tried everything imaginable over the years, and I have found only one solution that really works. It is the Ebony AW Focusing Hood which also requires purchasing the Ebony Lens Shade Clip. If you do not have an Ebony like me then you will have to purchase there hotshoe and attach it to the top of your front standard. The package will set you back around $275, but judging from the photographs I have been taking lately it is worth twice that. The package is a lot lighter than an umbrella, and it will also keep your camera and film cool when shooting in hot blazing sun. The hood covers the camera, you, the lens, filters, and any lens hood used and keeps them dry when the rains come. I love it, but unfortunately, it an't cheap.

Good luck.

Darkcloth Fumbler

holy crap, david! what an awesome picture. single-handedly making me think there's hope for color landscape photography. and yosemite to boot.
    - matt haines

Business.
    Pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by uniB View Post
    I'm getting a bit fed up of my filters, GG and contents of my bag getting covered in rain when I'm out (a common problem in the UK!) and my thoughts have turned to umbrellas.
    I'm sure I've seen a picture somewhere of a set up where an umbrella is attached to the tripod somehow, but I'd imagine that's not going to help with camera shake at all, my tripod is on the edge of being too light for LF anyway so a small sail probably won't help!

So I was wondering if anyone here has any alternative set ups? I was considering a fishing umbrella, anyone use one of those? Or any other ideas?

The solution needs to be as light as possible 'cause it'll need to strap to my backpack.

And is it possible to say 'umbrella' without saying 'ella, ella' afterwards?!?

Thanks for any ideas
    Yes, of course you need an umbrella, a large one, but equally important you need a teenage son, who is interested in photography to hold it for you, and also hand you a film holder when requested. This makes photography so much easier.
    This has a side effect of lightening your backpack, as you get teenage son to carry your backpack, thus making it extremely light on your shoulders.