Thread: Arca Swiss

Arca Swiss

I am contemplating adding 6X9 capability to my Arca Swiss Discovery. My reason is for ease of travel. As I study the Arca Swiss publications I understand the full 4x5 to 6X9 conversion kit. My question is what I will call a half conversion-e.g., I think it is possible to replace just the front 4X5 standard with a 6X9 standard, and then buy the bellows that connects the 4X5 rear standard with the front 6X9. Is this correct, and if so what is lost in terms of coverage, etc., and what is gained in terms of smaller size? Comments from anyone who has done the "half conversion are appreciated.

Re: Arca Swiss

If you are looking to convert for 6x9 use, you should be thinking about replacing the 4x5 back with a 6x9, not the other way around if I am understanding you correctly. I own a Arca-Swiss F-Classic Field 4X5 C which is a 4x5 with a 6x9 front and I also own a Arca-Swiss F-Classic Compact 6X9 which is a 6x9 system that I use for macro work only. Maybe it is the F-Classic Field 4x5 C you are talking about?

Re: Arca Swiss

I am was thinking of buying the conversion kit which would take my 4X5 down to 6X9.

I also see one can cut down bulk somewhat by replacing the 4X5 front standard on my Discovery with the 6X9, buying the step down bellows, retaining the 4X5 film size. My question on this was how does the smaller standard and board affect coverage, etc, if at all, using the same lenses as on the larger standard?

My goal is to reduce sixe more than weight.