Thread: Lee Wide-Angle Lens Hoods

Lee Wide-Angle Lens Hoods

Has anyone used these hoods with a Rodenstock 90mm 4.5 Grandagon (the newest one)? I'm naturally concerned about vignetting, and wanted to see if anyone had any experience with this kind of setup. I like the idea of the filter holder/hood all-in-one, but I'm unsure of how it will work with the wider lenses. Sounds like a nice idea in concept...

Anytime I have to use more than one filter, handholding gets to be a pain, and I'm very lazy about shading the lens.

Re: Lee Wide-Angle Lens Hoods

I've used one without problems with my Nikkor 90mm/4.5, shifted pretty well to its limits. (The Nikkor 4.5 is similar to your lens in that it also has an 82mm ring mount, but it may be different in other ways so your mileage may, of course, vary).

The Lee shade can be configured in several versions, with zero, one, two, or three filter slots. I've used mine on the 90 with one filter. If you use it without a filter holder you can get quite far back toward the lens, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Blaze View Post
    I've used one without problems with my Nikkor 90mm/4.5, shifted pretty well to its limits. (The Nikkor 4.5 is similar to your lens in that it also has an 82mm ring mount, but it may be different in other ways so your mileage may, of course, vary).

The Lee shade can be configured in several versions, with zero, one, two, or three filter slots. I've used mine on the 90 with one filter. If you use it without a filter holder you can get quite far back toward the lens, which is nice.
    Yeah, I may just bite the bullet and try it out - I can always sell it if it doesn't work out. I am normally using 2 filters, sometimes 3 (if I use a polarizer + the warming filter & ND grad), so the last thing I want to do is overcomplicate my process.

Cool website - I've been interested in cryptography ever since reading Bruce Schneiders Applied Cryptography and being a Radioman/IT in the Navy where I had the opportunity to work with some of the latest and greatest (at the time) technology.

Ben C

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Chase View Post
    Yeah, I may just bite the bullet and try it out - I can always sell it if it doesn't work out. I am normally using 2 filters, sometimes 3 (if I use a polarizer + the warming filter & ND grad), so the last thing I want to do is overcomplicate my process.
    If you're going to use a polarizer with an ND grad (which you'll want to rotate with respect to each other) you probably want to get the hood that holds one filter, and a separate two filter holder plus the rotation ring that snaps into the hood. There are a LOT of options here; it's worth ordering it through a dealer who actually understands the system, and explaining what you want to do to be sure you get the right things. They are reasonably reconfigurable, however; you can order extra spaces to convert a 2 filter holder into a 3 filter holder, etc.

Cool website - I've been interested in cryptography ever since reading Bruce Schneiders Applied Cryptography and being a Radioman/IT in the Navy where I had the opportunity to work with some of the latest and greatest (at the time) technology.
    Thanks; I wrote the afterward to the one of the editions of that book.

-matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Blaze View Post

Matt, is that the universal hood you have used or the wide angle hood?
    I imagine the universal as I know that comes with three filter slots but they can be removed as seen fit by the user.

Marc

I had used the universal hood with my 90mm nikkor f/4.5 without any problems.

When I acquired a 65mm, I found that the combination of filter slots and the universal hood vignetted on a lens this wide. My solution was to cut 2 pleats off of the inner part of the hood, and re-marry it to the support bracket, than I screwed on only a single filter slot to the hood. This does not vignette on a 65, and I find it adequate in most cases on my longer lenses. When needed, I'll flag a long lens which is pretty safe. It is with the shorter, wider angle lenses that I find I can inadvertently get my flag or myself into the view, and here is where a compendium is much safer to use.

This above set up also just works with a polarizer in between the Lee and the lens. I didn't like the wide angle hood as it is inadequate for my longer lenses, and I would thus find myself carrying 2 different hoods in my kit.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwilson View Post
    Matt, is that the universal hood you have used or the wide angle hood?
    I imagine the universal as I know that comes with three filter slots but they can be removed as seen fit by the user.

Marc
    I have the wide angle. The configuration I use is the hood with no filter slots, with a separate filter holder which can be coupled to the hood through an adapter. That way I can simultaneously use a polarizer along with an ND-grad rotated independently, or use the hood very close to the lens with no filters at all. But there are many different configurations available, some incompatible with the others (there are two different mounting arrangements, a clip on and a friction ring for larger diameter lenses).

I'm surprised by the other poster's comment that the wide angle hood isn't long enough for use with his longer lenses. It extends out pretty far (and can be tilted quite a bit), and although I can imagine circumstances where a light source is very close to the subject where it might not be long enough, such shooting conditions have never come up for me.

-matt

My lenses go from 80 to 300 so I'm probably looking at the wide angle hood for comfort at the wide end.
    My 80mm lens uses a center filter with an 86 front thread and no Lee wide angle adaptor is available in that size so best to be safe!

Matt, what were the longest lenses you used the wide hood with?

I assume the wide hood without filter slot attached to a 'one filter' filter holder and adaptor is the same depth as the one with one filter slot and adaptor?
    If so this certainly seems a more flexible way to go (I assume the hood just slips into the front of the filter holder, and again as just a hood less bulky when used on the 80mm + center filter set up.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by marcwilson View Post
    My lenses go from 80 to 300 so I'm probably looking at the wide angle hood for comfort at the wide end.
    My 80mm lens uses a center filter with an 86 front thread and no Lee wide angle adaptor is available in that size so best to be safe!

Matt, what were the longest lenses you used the wide hood with?

I assume the wide hood without filter slot attached to a 'one filter' filter holder and adaptor is the same depth as the one with one filter slot and adaptor?
    If so this certainly seems a more flexible way to go (I assume the hood just slips into the front of the filter holder, and again as just a hood less bulky when used on the 80mm + center filter set up.

Marc
    My 4x5 lenses are 65, 90, 120, 180, 240 and 360mm. I use the Lee WA hood up to the 240. I use it without a filter on the 65, although I think I could make it work with one filter if I really wanted. The Lee system doesn't fit on the 360 (Symmar-S) at all, which is larger diameter than the back of the hood opening, so I use a Sinar compendium bellows for that one.

If you go with the filter holder+adapter you need a holder with one more slot than filters you want to use, since the hood ring takes up the font-most slot of the holder. So this arrangement pushes the hood out a bit farther from the front of the lens than it would with the integrated hood/holder. I'm not sure by how much, since I've never personally used the integrated hood or directly compared them.