Thread: What is Candid Photography?

What is Candid Photography?

Candid pictures means taking pictures of people when they are unaware. Fun in photography is catching your human subject’s off guard so that your pictures have more emotion. Those who work for magazines have been able to get candid shots of their subjects.

Although there are many techniques available in the photography world taking candid shots may appear very easy, fun and interesting.

First and of course most important is to keep the subject in view while they are not paying attention. The next step is to train your eye to catch the moment. You must be able to move fast, but with design. You need to have your camera set for the picture before you are even aware that you will take the photograph. The best way to do this if you have a digital or automatic camera is to keep it on the proper setting. Manual cameras take moments to focus and can loose the candid shot if your subject becomes aware of you.

Re: What is Candid Photography?

I have just ordered a 1500mm AF lens for my 5x7 Seneca, but I dont find the switch to turn on the cameras automatic metering.^^
    Regards and have fun
    Martin

I am just wondering how I can blend into the backgound with an Ebony on a Gitzo tripod

And then I realised I don't have autofocus and my usual shutter speed is around 1sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miksch View Post
    I have just ordered a 1500mm AF lens for my 5x7 Seneca, but I dont find the switch to turn on the cameras automatic metering.^^
    Regards and have fun
    Martin
    I'm sorry, I didn't read your reply properly before posting my own reply

1500mm autofocus ... Hmmm

Richard M. Coda

I just came back from DisneyWorld where I worked (digitally) on some candid, documentary photography. The crowds are amazing there and it is easy to get lost with an AF camera.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

The only LF cameras I remember which could be used for "Candid" photography were the Graphics, B&J, and similar hand-holdable press cameras. The Graflex was also often used for this. IIRC Paul Strand used one for many of his street photographs. It was reasonably easy to learn to turn the camera 90 degrees and photograph to the side almost without detection.

This is a fun post, almost touching on trolling in the Large Format Photography Forum

...But that being said, the Just One More Club during the Truman Administration ratifies her point that LF cameras, like the Speed & Crown Graphics shot by Weegee and me, generally makes it almost impossible to get candids, especially these days... And why I also use a MF rangefinder or dSLR in addition to LF when I go shooting (as does David Burnett).

Let me `splain:

When I shoot an event, such as a wedding or Mitzvah, my Speed Grahic itself becomes the center of attention, because it's so retro... And even more so since I grafted on a 7 inch f/2.5(!) Aero-Ektar. Here is an example of a posed shot from a Bar Mitzvah:

On the other hand, Samantha makes a point Cartier-Bresson espoused right after WWII, namely a PJ being no more than a fly on the wall. For that reason, he shot a 35mm Leica... And I shoot a Fuji S2 Pro dSLR for the same reason. Though, on occasion, you can catch some great candids if you are careful, such as this shot:

Quote Originally Posted by Samanthakk7 View Post
    Candid pictures means taking pictures of people when they are unaware. Fun in photography is catching your human subject’s off guard so that your pictures have more emotion. Those who work for magazines have been able to get candid shots of their subjects.

Although there are many techniques available in the photography world taking candid shots may appear very easy, fun and interesting.

First and of course most important is to keep the subject in view while they are not paying attention. The next step is to train your eye to catch the moment. You must be able to move fast, but with design. You need to have your camera set for the picture before you are even aware that you will take the photograph. The best way to do this if you have a digital or automatic camera is to keep it on the proper setting. Manual cameras take moments to focus and can loose the candid shot if your subject becomes aware of you.

I disagree. Candid photography doesn't mean taking pictures when the subject is unaware. It is taking pictures in such a manner that the action of the photographer does not, by his presence and/or actions, significantly change the situation being photographed.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Wilhelm, I guess you never watched the original Candid Camera, with Durwood Kirby & Allen Funt. The camera was never in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I disagree. Candid photography doesn't mean taking pictures when the subject is unaware. It is taking pictures in such a manner that the action of the photographer does not, by his presence and/or actions, significantly change the situation being photographed.

The expression "Candid Camera" existed long before the TV program (or before ANY TV, for that matter). I think the TV show was more surveillance than candid -- in fact, I believe that most of the "situations" were actually setups, not spontaneous.
    Most of Cartier-Bresson's images are truly candid (which is part of what makes them so remarkable), but his most famous definitely were not, (Children playing the the ruins, Seville 1935), since the kids were putting on a performance for his benefit.
    For some reason I'm reminded of the famous Civil War formal tintype portrait of a young soldier, which he sent home with the description, "Mamma, this is a picture of me having my picture taken."
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)