Thread: help. fijinon 90mm f8 or caltar 900 f8

help. fijinon 90mm f8 or caltar 900 f8

okay. so i got to have a 90mm.....just cause now i got a camera that i can use something this wide with

i can not find coverage info on the fujinon SW 90mm f8 can anyone help.

between the caltrar f8, caltar f6.8 and the fujinon SW f8 which would be best in your opinions? why? i would like to use some movements with my 4x5.

thanks for the help.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

New Orleans, LA

Re: help. fijinon 90mm f8 or caltar 900 f8

http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/sw.htm

Fuji SW 90mm f8 has 216mm IC.

Dave Karp

For information on Fujinon LF lenses of all models, check out this site as well as Kerry's site: http://members.aol.com/subgallery

For information on the specifications of other modern lenses, check out this table: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...s/LF4x5in.html

My guess is that a Caltar f/8 is an older Schneider Super Angulon. The current Caltar II-N 90mm f/6.8 is a Rodenstock Grandagon-N. The f/8 lenses both have an image circle of 216mm. The f/6.8 lens has a 221mm image circle.

The Fujinon SW is a very nice lens. I have one.

Dave Karp

On further reflection, that Caltar f/8 might also be a Rodenstock Geronar or if old enough, it might be an Ilex product. Again, this is a guess.

All the lenses you list will cover 4x5 with movements. The smaller 90mm (f/8 or f/6.8) lens with the largest image circle is the 90mm f/8 Nikkor SW. It has an image circle (235mm) approximately equal to the 90mm f/4.5 Rodenstock Grandagon, the 90mm f/5.6 Schneider Super Angulon (non XL), or the 90mm Fujinon SWD.

It all boils down to finance really. All of the lenses are good lenses. For general shooting there's really nothing wrong with either of them. I.e. you cannot point out any lens as being better from looking at the negatives/trannies. Just be somewhat careful and use some kind of sunshade. (As discussed in other threads.)
    As for movements, would you pay $100 for an extra 1/8"? Which is to say that they are quite equal in that respect too. (The f/4.5 lenses gives you more image circle, but they cost more and they are much larger and heavier too.)

thanks for the charts. that was what i was looking for. i had only an older chart.

i think i will go with one of the slower f stop lenses for reasons that my accountant (wallet) says so! and weight

B&H has got a fujinon i was considering.

thanks

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I have a Caltar W-II 90mm f/8. It is simply a rebadged Super Angulon; you won't do much better in the "affordable used" category.

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

I have the Ilex 90mm/F8 version, wonderful lens. Cloned copy of the F8 Super Angulon, IMO. It may or may not be the Caltar in question here. One way to tell is the Ilex was made in the USA, so if the Caltar is marked that way, you likely have an Ilex.

However I really like Fujinon lenses, and if price is close and the condition of the lens is good, I would jump at the Fujinon in a heartbeat.
    joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?