Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need of Center Filter

Need of Center Filter

Wich of these lenses "must " be used with CF in 4x5 format ? 75mm Grandagon-N 4.5, 75mm Nikkor SW 4.5, Super Angulon XL 72mm 5.6 and Schneider 80mm XL.
    Thanks a lot
    Luis

Re: Need of Center Filter

The brightness difference between the center and the margin of an image has nothing to do with the brand of the lens, it's an optical phenomen with all lenses with a certain angle of view. And it's more or less visible with different subjects. E.g. a wall with uniform illumination is more sensitive as the foliage of a tree.

Peter K

Thanks a lot for the technical information. My question was target to a probable " aditional cost " if I decide to buy one of this lenses. I dont have much money after buying a 210 APO Symmar and 110mmSS XL and the difference in price in those lenses ( new and used ) are great. Cost of CF for the 72mm XL is 546 u$s in B&H. Cost of Nikkor 75mm 4.5 SW ( used ) = 695 u$s
    Luis

A center filter is a matter of taste. I don't use one for any wide-angle lens. Yes, there is some fall off, but I can handle it. Simple matter either in the darkroom or Photoshop to compensate, particularly in black and white.

Thanks a lot Gene
    Luis

David Vickery

Hello, It is matter of taste and it does depend on the subject. However, if you are working for a client doing something like architectural photos then you will most likely need the center filter. If you are just doing stuff for yourself then you could wait to see if you really need one for the type of work that you do.
    After thinking on it a little more, my 75mm lens may not be as fast as the ones that you listed and I don't even remember which make it is. It has been almost two years since I have used that lens, but I did use it to photograph numerous model homes and other interiors and I would not have used it without the center filter for those clients. I don't know Digital so I would not be able to fix the density difference in photoshop, you may well be able to as gene stated.
    I certainly agree with what Peter said also, but if the lens has a large image circle and you are only using the central portion it may not be enough of a problem to make the additional purchase.
    Sudek ambled across my mind one day and took his picture. Only he knows where it is.
    David Vickery

Still Developing

One thing that is handy to know is the light fall's off a lot slower on a super angulon than on a normal lens (sorry if I've got this wrong but hopefully I've got the right general idea). Hence the 80XL has more need of a CF than a 90SA XL

Of course it's a question of focal-lenght and film-size, but when the 90mm lens is shifted or used with a 5x7 camera, the same problem occurs.

Peter K

center filter is a must for landscape photography if you use a wide angle lenses 90mm and less and you shift some cm

Hmmmm, I've never felt a need to use one with a 90mm lens. Seldom with 75mm and fairly often with a 58.