Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prazio products - source and use

Prazio products - source and use

Friends, I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have used Prazio products and where you can buy them. Comparison with corresponding Kami products would be appreciated as well. Thanks.

Re: Prazio products - source and use

I buy direct from Prazio, though I phone in my orders. I could order through a local photo supply place, though there is no price advantage for me. Ask about their Starter Kit on your first order.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

What Gordon said. Basically, I think their fluids work better, so do their wipes and most of their products are less expensive than similar offerings from Aztec.

Very nice people too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    What Gordon said. Basically, I think their fluids work better, so do their wipes and most of their products are less expensive than similar offerings from Aztec.

Very nice people too.
    Hi Gordon, Ted...

Hope you and your families had a great holiday celebration...

Out of curiosity, have either of you ever tried the Lumina from Scanscience? Here's their website:

http://www.scanscience.com/files/lumina2.html

With regards to the Prazio... are you using their Oil Spray or the Gel?

Thank you.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Just waiting to be developed..

I use Kami SMF. IMHO its the best product ive used. I have tons of the Prazio stuff here. I have used there gel and the oil. To messy to clean up. Both of them.

Kami SMF is easy to clean and is stocked by almost every pre press supply company. Prazio is not. Im not knocking Prazio. I use the gel on damaged film all the time.

I also use Tesa tape and Photex scanner wipes.

If you need a vendor for Kami, let me know. I know some in NY area.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Hi Gordon, Ted...

Hope you and your families had a great holiday celebration...

Out of curiosity, have either of you ever tried the Lumina from Scanscience? Here's their website:

http://www.scanscience.com/files/lumina2.html

With regards to the Prazio... are you using their Oil Spray or the Gel?

Thank you.

Cheers
    Hello,

I have not tried the Scan Science spray, though it might be another alternative. I have the Prazio mounting oil, gel, and their anti-newton spray. I have only used their gel twice, mostly just in testing to see if it was much different than using oil; discovered that there was not, though my understanding it the gel is better on deeply scratched or damaged film.

The oil worked great on film, and on some old glass plate negatives. The Prazio anti-newton spray has (so far) been a little tougher to use, though I expect with more practice to get better with this. Clean-up after using the spray is very minimal, since it evaporates quickly.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    Hello,

I have not tried the Scan Science spray, though it might be another alternative. I have the Prazio mounting oil, gel, and their anti-newton spray. I have only used their gel twice, mostly just in testing to see if it was much different than using oil; discovered that there was not, though my understanding it the gel is better on deeply scratched or damaged film.

The oil worked great on film, and on some old glass plate negatives. The Prazio anti-newton spray has (so far) been a little tougher to use, though I expect with more practice to get better with this. Clean-up after using the spray is very minimal, since it evaporates quickly.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography
    Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the reply...

I'm leaning toward the Lumina because it's relatively odorless, and doesn't appear to cause any drum crazing. Also, if you purchase 8 bottles... they'll include a pump sprayer, which should make applying the fluid that much easier. Apparently, it's just a fairly simple spray to cover the negative.

Lastly, in theory at least, they say it's pretty much residual free... but I think it makes sense to still wipe down the neg afterwards.

With your comment about the Prazio spray... are you using the stand-alone mounting station? What difficulties have you experienced with their anti-newton spray?

Thank you.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I prefer the Prazio products to Kami because Kami evaporates much faster, too fast IMO. I use the anti-newton ring spray a lot and find it easy to work with although you need to be careful not to use too much. I also find both the oil and the gel to be easy to work with and ot difficult to clean up. I still find that, on either the Cezanne or the IQsmart 3, there is little to be gained with ay of these liquids unless you have scratches you need to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    I still find that, on either the Cezanne or the IQsmart 3, there is little to be gained with ay of these liquids unless you have scratches you need to deal with.
    Really? I find fluid mounting to be half the value in drum scanning. For me it does more than just fill in scratches. It adds a hard-to-describe silky smoothness. Non-fluid-mounted scans look to me as if the original film base was a very fine sandpaper, while a fluid mounted scan looks as if the original film base was a beautifully clear glass.

Fluid mounting is the reason I drum scan film for even very small enlargements. I might not be able to see the increased resolution and sharpness of the PMTs at the small enlargement, but I can see the increased smoothness of the fluid mount.

Bruce Watson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Really? I find fluid mounting to be half the value in drum scanning. For me it does more than just fill in scratches. It adds a hard-to-describe silky smoothness. Non-fluid-mounted scans look to me as if the original film base was a very fine sandpaper, while a fluid mounted scan looks as if the original film base was a beautifully clear glass.

Fluid mounting is the reason I drum scan film for even very small enlargements. I might not be able to see the increased resolution and sharpness of the PMTs at the small enlargement, but I can see the increased smoothness of the fluid mount.
    Bruce is right.
    Fluid mounting makes a huge difference on any scanner. A full half of the fluid being sold is being sold for flatbeds and film scanners. I prefer Kami, it evaporates quickly and I like that....

Lenny

EigerStudios