Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What to buy for my first Field camera

Re: What to by for my fist Field camera

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What are you currently using all those powerhouse lenses on, and why do you need something different? If there's a problem, just get a Technika (new or used) and be done with it?
    Im using a View camera Horseman LX.
    I have the standard lenses 90, 120, 240, 360T and I looking for a 65 mm to use with a roll film back and the rear lens adapter for the 360T to expand it to a 500T lens.

I like to reuse as much as possible of my equipment and that includes Teknica lensbord and international roll film backs. I need to spend my money on photo work shops and not on hardware.

Re: What to buy for my first Field camera

I'll second the vote for the Shen Hao. I was surprised by the decent build quality. After using a Linhof monorail for a while, I decided that a field camera was definitely for me. Still have that Linhof sitting around though......

I've been using a Zone VI for about 15 years for both professional (architecture) and personal field work. The bag bellows allows for using the 47mm XL (although you've got to watch that the bed doesn't intrude in the image) and the standard bellows is long enough for the longest (300mm) lens that I have used with it. There is plenty of bellows left over for close focusing, so I assume that much longer lenses will work at and near the infinity range.

I don't know about the light weight version as mine is the older "full strength" model, but I've put mine though the mill with no problems whatever.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by Hollis View Post
    I have a wista 45sp for sale. You can interchangeable bag bellows and telephoto bellows for it as well (with the bed extension). Its a great camera but I am moving in a different direction.
    HI,
    I think that the Wista that take an International backs is 45DX III Field Camera
    So Im more intrested in that camera.
    Regards,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by David Luttmann View Post
    I'll second the vote for the Shen Hao. I was surprised by the decent build quality. After using a Linhof monorail for a while, I decided that a field camera was definitely for me. Still have that Linhof sitting around though......
    I think the Shen Hao is limited to medium lenth lenses, therfore Im not so intrested in bying that camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    While others have told you to buy "cheap" at first to see if you like it, I will recommend that you spend a little more as it is often true that you get what you pay for. I am not saying that there aren't inexpensive field cameras out there that are of plenty acceptable quality. Just don't buy based on price. Toyo ax and axII are excellent field cameras and those Chamonix cameras look really damn awesome as well!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is the Toyo metal camera?
    I will check the Chamonix

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    I've been using a Zone VI for about 15 years for both professional (architecture) and personal field work. The bag bellows allows for using the 47mm XL (although you've got to watch that the bed doesn't intrude in the image) and the standard bellows is long enough for the longest (300mm) lens that I have used with it. There is plenty of bellows left over for close focusing, so I assume that much longer lenses will work at and near the infinity range.

I don't know about the light weight version as mine is the older "full strength" model, but I've put mine though the mill with no problems whatever.
    No one recomend ebony? is it a bad choise?

Quote Originally Posted by esbtse View Post
    No one recomend ebony? is it a bad choise?
    The Ebony is a great choice but to get one that will allow you to use the lenses you want is getting into a much bigger budget, an RW45 maybe but that's over 3 times the price of a Shen Hao, Wista, Chamonix etc.

A Chamonix would be ideal probably, but I believe they've sold out of the first batch so you'd be waiting until June