Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to buy for my first Field camera

What to buy for my first Field camera

Hi,
    Im looking for a field camera 4*5 for landscape photography that can take Teknika lensbord and preferably my old international standard film back and in the future a digital back, or some other film backs. I am using 65mm to 360T/500T mm lenses. There are a lot of Tachihara 4x5 on sale and is there a reason for it? Would you like to recommend some second hand field cameras?
    Best Regards,
    Thomas Eriksson

Re: What to by for my fist Field camera

Wista or Shen Hoa are fine, both take Linhof boards. Not sure about the YTachihara I think they are probably OK as well but someone else who has used one can advise better.

My Wista is fine with a 65mm SA, and has an international back.

Ian

Think inexpensive at first to see if you enjoy the process.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Preston Birdwell

Thomas,

I use a Tachihara and like it very much. It is light (a smidge over 3 lbs.) and yet rigidity is good. It is well constructed. Since the camera does not have the capability to exchange bellows, using a 65mm will be possible, but movements will be slim to none, since the standard pleated bellows will be really scrunched. This camera does not have an international back.

A question I have, that relates to your 360/500T, is will this lens focus at infinity given that the Tachi has a bellows extension of about 310mm? The longest lens I use is the 300mm Nikor M. If not, then this camera may not work for you.

When I got my Tachi, I needed a field camera and the price was right. I'm not selling this camera short; it is a good one. When I upgrade I'll likely go with a Wista or an Ebony.

Good luck in your quest!

-PB
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Eric Biggerstaff

I have used a Tachi for many years and it is an excellent, light weight field camera that can easily handle lenses from 75mm to 300 mm on standard lens boards. The camera is well built and lovely to look at and worth the price. I have not used a Shen-Hao but those who use them, like them very much as well.

I switched from my Tachi to a Zone VI as I wanted a longer bellows, but I find myself using the Tachi more and more again as it is light weight and straightforward to use.

As Preston noted, I think the 65mm will be a tight squeeze but you should be able to work with it as long as you don't require a lot (any) movements. Also, I am not sure the 500T would work.

The good thing is, if you buy one and it doesn't fit your needs then chances are you can re-sell it for what you paid (or close to it).
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Thomas,

A question I have, that relates to your 360/500T, is will this lens focus at infinity given that the Tachi has a bellows extension of about 310mm? The longest lens I use is the 300mm Nikor M. If not, then this camera may not work for you.

-PB
    These focal lengths in "telephoto" formulas focus infinity with less bellows draw than a standard 300mm lens. They are designed to be used on field cameras with limited bellows draw.

Don't worry too much about the tight squeeze hampering movements the 65mm's only just covers 5x4 anyway.

Ian

The Chamonix 45N-1 is a very new camera with limited availability for now, but it looks like a great value for $700. A number of us have them on order and from what I understand, there may be some extra cameras available from this production run. You can find a few posts from people that already have one and they seem pretty happy. It seems like a very light and rigid camera. I was considering the Shen Hao, but I wanted something lighter and still reasonably priced, so I'm taking a bit of chance with a new camera. It does take Technika lens boards and the bellows is interchangeable, although accessories will not be available until next year.

I use a Tachihara (well, to be entirely honest, I use a Calumet Wood Field XM. AKA, a Tachihara.)

Whichever name plate, it's light and sturdy. It might be a bit too pretty, but you learn to live with the oohs and ahhs. With a 90mm Super Angulon, it allows plenty of movements although the bellows is starting to feel compressed. I also have a 10 inch f/4.5 lens in a #4 shutter -- pretty heavy -- which the Tachi handles with aplomb.

Obviously I like the camera. If I were planning to use wider lenses than 90mm, I'd consider the Shen Hao, which has interchangeable bellows (bag bellows option.)

What are you currently using all those powerhouse lenses on, and why do you need something different? If there's a problem, just get a Technika (new or used) and be done with it?
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)