Thread: Linhof 8x10 Kardan Bi Weight?

Linhof 8x10 Kardan Bi Weight?

Hello,
    Does anyone know what the weight of a Linhof 8x10 Kardan Bi camera might be? This is not the hugh beast model, but the one that looks like the 4x5 kardan S. I am asking about the 8x10 model though.
    Thank you very helpful people.
    Robert N.

Re: Linhof 8x10 Kardan Bi Weight?

Robert, without a lens it's 8200 gramme = 18 pounds (avdp).

Peter K

Thanks for the weight information. The reason I am asking is that i was wondering if this camera could be used on location. I thought about maybe with a shorter rail if it would be too bad to take on location. Maybe wishful thinking. I am not a backpacker at all. Although, I have hauled a 14x17 wooden camera around at times.

Robert N.

Compared with the Kardan or the Kardan-Color 8x10 (40 pounds avdp.) the Kardan-Bi is realy light-weight. And with more adjustments as the Kardan-Color. The camera can be easily dismanteled for transportation and mounted in no time. Also stable with the heaviest lenses.

Peter K
    Last edited by Peter K; 14-Dec-2007 at 07:40. Reason: weight Kardan added

Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post
    Thanks for the weight information. The reason I am asking is that i was wondering if this camera could be used on location. I thought about maybe with a shorter rail if it would be too bad to take on location. Maybe wishful thinking. I am not a backpacker at all. Although, I have hauled a 14x17 wooden camera around at times.

Robert N.
    One of the reasons the B system was designed with a 360 degree swing function on the front and rear standards was so the bellows could be disconnected from one standard, held compressed on the other standard with a rubber band or strap and then both standards could be rotated so they are parallel with the standards. The camera would then be very convenient to carry in the field. An attache style case was made for convenient field transport of the camera.

Do be aware however that all current Kardan RE, GT and GTL accessories fit the B series except for those items that attach directly to the monorail. Thus extra rails, rail clamps and auxiliary standards have not been available from Linhof for decades. The 8x10 B had a 25" (640mm) monorail. To get full extension you will also need the no longer available 12.5" (320mm) extension rail and the no longer available auxiliary standard.

When you ask for the weight was it for the basic camera with basic rail or for the extended rail version?

The camera that I was asking about has the 25 inch rail only. I think part of the question is that I've heard so much about how amazingly heavy the Kardan Color is/was and it may be scaring me a little. I can't rally invest a hugh amount of money in a camera that can only be used in a studio - need for it to do double duty.
    Robert N.

This is the standard rail with 630 mm. There was an extension rail aviable with 320mm. With this extension rail one can use the whole 1000mm bellows extension of the 8x10 bellows. With more extension rails, standarts and bellows there is no limitation at all.

Peter K

Quote Originally Posted by rknewcomb View Post

Robert N.
    Robert,

all I can say is I managed to get my 5x7 Bi-Kardan wherever I could get with an odd cart I made out of an old pram - to carry the thing, it would take a more athletic person than I am. And while I love the camera for the incredibly high level of craftsmanship and effort it was made with, I still must say, a field camera it is not.

sculptorBradP

What are the advantages and disadvantages comparing the Linhof Kardan Bi System to the Linhof Kardan TL? I'm aware of the weight difference for the Kardan Bi System at 8x10 - 18 Lb. versus the Kardan Master TL 8x10 at 28 Lb. I'm looking at 90% use in my studio location. Weight is not so much a problem, perhaps the weight in the TL benefits in stability? Likely either 8x10 or 5x7 - based on luck of availability. Are the movements advantageous in one over the other? Is one able to take a broader range of lens weights? Is the precision better calibrated in one over the other. The engraved measurements on the Bi look like an advantage, especially with over the many years aged conditions with the glued-on calibration on the TL. The other is finding the longer monorail options. I'm less concerned about the availability of monorail length additions for what I have seen for the Bi than the TL? A few years late on this forum subject..., Thanks, - Brad