Thread: What cloth for cleaning off kami fluid?

What cloth for cleaning off kami fluid?

When i got my scanner i ordered the starter kit from Aztek. They said the mounting fluid wouldn't leave a residue. It does. I've been using the scanner wipes and Rexton film cleaner on my 8x10 transparencies. I see tiny scratches on the film here and there and i don't like it. I'm also not ending up with film that looks like it wasn't ever scanned. i.e. untouched and completely clean. The scratches are my main concern.
    What are you guys using for wipes?

thanks

vinny

Re: What cloth for cleaning off kami fluid?

I have the Prazio wipes that I am using, which seem to work great with their mounting oil. Don't know how much different Kami oil is than Prazio, but I would think the same wipes would work. No scratches on my old Heidelberg.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    When i got my scanner i ordered the starter kit from Aztek. They said the mounting fluid wouldn't leave a residue. It does. I've been using the scanner wipes and Rexton film cleaner on my 8x10 transparencies. I see tiny scratches on the film here and there and i don't like it. I'm also not ending up with film that looks like it wasn't ever scanned. i.e. untouched and completely clean. The scratches are my main concern.
    What are you guys using for wipes?

thanks

vinny
    I use PecPads...

Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Moat View Post
    I have the Prazio wipes that I am using, which seem to work great with their mounting oil. Don't know how much different Kami oil is than Prazio, but I would think the same wipes would work. No scratches on my old Heidelberg.
    I'm also using the Prazio products. No scratches from the Prazio scanner wipes here either.

Bruce Watson

This is a genuine issue, the cumulative effect of this on some of my vintage transparencies that have been reproduced allot in books and magazines, is frightening.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    This is a genuine issue, the cumulative effect of this on some of my vintage transparencies that have been reproduced allot in books and magazines, is frightening.
    I used to be a manufacturing engineer (way back when America manufactured things). One of the things I learned was that every time you handle something, even if you just pick it up and move it a few meters, you damage it. Usually very little so that you'd really have to look for it to see it. But when you are looking to make the best quality possible, the cumulative damage adds up (you'd be amazed at how often parts and assemblies are moved in factories). So you learn to lay out factories and workflows to eliminate as much handling as possible.

How does this relate to LF photography? It's why I decided to buy my own drum scanner. So I could implement a "scan once use many" workflow. I scan the films I scan at the maximum print size I'll ever print. All of them. The vast majority never see a print that size. But every once in a while somebody wants a big one. And my original just stays in it's sleeve where it's safe and as unscratched as it can be considering what it is and what it is used for.

This is hardly the answer for everyone, I know that. But the very problem you are talking about -- repeated scanning and wear and tear on the film -- is why I work this way. For those really popular images of yours it might be helpful.

Bruce Watson

I too like the scan once use many workflow but i'm new at this and i occasionally have a scan that has too much dirt and requires remounting. I'd like to hear from anyone using the Photex scanner/film wipes.

I use Photex wipes and like them. However, I use them only for cleaning the drum and wiping excess Kami fluid - not for cleaning the film before or after scanning. I use a mounting station and I do also find that any excess Kami fluid squeezed out onto the exterior surface of the Mylar leaves a residue which will show up in scanning. To clean this residue, I use Pec emulsion cleaner and a Pecpad - obviously I'm careful to avoid touching the actual drum when doing this. I almost always clean the film before and after with Pec emulsion cleaner and pecpads. The secret is to use a clean Pecpad or two (the large size work well for 8x10s), use sufficient Pec fluid and little or no pressure. I place a clean Pecpad down, film onto that and then use another clean Pecpad for the wiping.

BTW, the Photex wipes also work very well for cleaning LCD monitors.

Thanks Bruce, I have come to that realization too.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"