Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cabela's Deluxe Gear Bag - On Sale

Dave Karp

Re: Cabela's Deluxe Gear Bag - On Sale

The big case shown is the nicer analog to the Cabela's bag. The reel case is used by many to hold lenses. I bought the older version of the reel bag to hold lenses, but it ended up holding my Mamiya 645 and its lenses and accessories nicely, so that is its main use now.

OK, a bit more follow up and (I think) a bit of clarity.

I think part of the problem in figuring which Orvis *gear* bag is being discussed is that I think they replaced the original one that Ted and others were describing with one that is a bit more expensive .

I think this is the current *gear* bag:

Gear/Kit bag

This bag that Wayne mentioned is has significantly less center bag space (it is significantly longer because of the end pockets) and I think that one might be hard pressed to get much more than a 4x5 camera in the main compartment. But the rubber bottom and compact size are very nice.

Shooter's Bag

And this is the reel case, that is still the same config. It seems that it could carry a small 4x5 + a few lenses.

Current Reel Bag

I had another look at them at a local Orvis store over the weekend and they are all very nice-- I just wish their was something between the Kit and Shooter's Bag.

The Fishpond Reel case is very nice as well, but it is not clear whether the longitudinal divider is removable.

Fishpond Reel Case

Decisions, decisions...

JT

The reel bag (10x14x6 inches) is a winner-well made and holds quite a bit of gear--mine holds 6 lenses on 4x4 boards (several are small wa dagors, fujinon 450, etc.), 6-7 5x7 film holders, lens hood and filters, meter, darkcloth and misc.(loupe,etc.) Not the camera tho.

lloyd

Thanks for your hard work, JT! I know that speding time in an Orvis shop is a real chore! Grinning.

I have marked all of your links for future Christmas list use!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I ordered the Cabela bag on sale as mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I was hoping it would be a handy bag for a 4X10, and it is. The camera and some film holders fit in the main compartment quite well. There is an acceptable level of padding on all sides but the top.

Quote Originally Posted by David Karp View Post
    Hi all.

I just noticed that Cabela's is having a sale. Their Deluxe Gear Bag, normally $39.99, is on sale for $19.99. Very low price for a nice bag that will hold a 4x5, holders, some lenses, etc. I bought one after reading Ted's article in VC Mag. It worked nicely to lug my 4x5 kit to Alaska. I was able to carry it on with no complaints from any of the airline personnel whether in L.A., S.F., Anchorage, or Kenai.
    Back to the origin of this thread, the Cabela's bag is also the perfect size for carrying 8x10 film holders. I have several and they work great.