Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Ideas to fix a Wsiner 12x20 bellows.

Need Ideas to fix a Wsiner 12x20 bellows.

Well folks, to continue with the Wisner saga. I bought a 12x20 Wisner on E bay from a fellow who actually frequents this forum. As he stated the camera was in great shape and looked like new. So I finally am getting back on the horse and started photographing again.

Trying the camera, I noticed my negatives had an unsual amount of fog. I decided to check the bellows and wouldn't you know it the tape they used to put together the bellows is not light tight. There is pinhole like leaks (although the tape does not have holes) in all four sides and all the corners...

No sense in contacting Wisner, I think they are about out of bussiness so I am looking for any ideas for a fix. I know I could probably use the B&S kit, but before I make a mess with the neoprene I am thinking someone here might come up with a better solution. Tape would not work, since I have to put it along all four sides and it would make it impossible to close the camera.

Any brilliant ideas out there?

Re: Need Ideas to fix a Wsiner 12x20 bellows.

I'm sure this is not the help you're looking for, but:

If the tape used was crappy to begin with, I would not attempt any repairs, since the fix, even if successful, is likely to be short lived. It somewhat depends on the size o the wholes. I believe I saw a paintable compound (source of which escapes me at the moment), that would have a chance to fill the pores without affecting flexibility of the bellows, but I'm not sure if this would let me sleep all that well.

Given the size it is probably to be costly, but I think I'd look into new bellows, so long as the rest of the camera is deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by witold View Post
    I'm sure this is not the help you're looking for, but:

If the tape used was crappy to begin with, I would not attempt any repairs, since the fix, even if successful, is likely to be short lived. It somewhat depends on the size o the wholes. I believe I saw a paintable compound (source of which escapes me at the moment), that would have a chance to fill the pores without affecting flexibility of the bellows, but I'm not sure if this would let me sleep all that well.

Given the size it is probably to be costly, but I think I'd look into new bellows, so long as the rest of the camera is deserving.
    It looks like the tape will hold, it just needs a light tight paint or soemthing like that..this paintable compound sounds like the thing to use. If you remember let me know, and thanks.

PS, new bellows is out of the question. Wisner, in his infinte wisdom glued the bellows back frame to the camera, instead of using fasteners so it could be removed.....talk about a dumb idea! So removing the bellows would probably cause more harm than good, plus the expense would be around $1000 if I have it done at Camera bellows...not something I want to do.

What about just draping (or wrapping) your dark cloth over the bellows just before shooting? No repair work involved and its free.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    What about just draping (or wrapping) your dark cloth over the bellows just before shooting? No repair work involved and its free.
    I sold my Korona 12x20 just so I did not have to do that. Also, since the leaks are on the four sides, draping the cloth areound would not cover the seams on the bottom close to the bed. This is my solution for now, but would like to get the bellows fixed.

I'd steer clear of the Bostick and Sullivan if I were you. I tried that on a Toyo bellows. Followed the instructions to the letter. Where it said to let it sit for 7 days, I left the camera in full extension on a tripod for 10 days. It felt totally dry to the touch and looked fantastic. I was amazed. Folded up the camera and put it away. The next time I took it out to use, the compound stuck to itself and where I used to have pinholes, I now had openings a sparrow could fly through. If they're tiny pinholes, one thing I did on a Speed Graphic I had several years ago was to mix India ink with carpenters glue and apply it to the inside of the bellows. It dried okay and worked. Regret not doing the same with the toyo, but Camera Bellows only charged $320 for a 810M bellows.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    I'd steer clear of the Bostick and Sullivan if I were you. I tried that on a Toyo bellows. Followed the instructions to the letter. Where it said to let it sit for 7 days, I left the camera in full extension on a tripod for 10 days. It felt totally dry to the touch and looked fantastic. I was amazed. Folded up the camera and put it away. The next time I took it out to use, the compound stuck to itself and where I used to have pinholes, I now had openings a sparrow could fly through. If they're tiny pinholes, one thing I did on a Speed Graphic I had several years ago was to mix India ink with carpenters glue and apply it to the inside of the bellows. It dried okay and worked. Regret not doing the same with the toyo, but Camera Bellows only charged $320 for a 810M bellows.
    India ink with carpenter's glue!?!...what a great idea! And I can do it on the inside as you did and maybe make it work....thanks!

Liquid 'Lectric Tape, an air-curing flexible urethane designed to seal electrical connections in marine environments. Dab a small amount (using a toothpick) onto each leak. It also comes in colors if you want a match. Try a boat store (West Marine etc.) or a good electrical supplier.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Equinox Photographic has a good product for pinholes.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Cool Re: Need Ideas to fix a Wsiner 12x20 bellows.

I have pretty good luck with using "photography tape"- it is kinda like black masking tape, costs a lot, and I used it on my Durst 8x10 enlarger bellows before I got a new one. It is really thin, and should work.