Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative paper developer needed

Alternative paper developer needed

I've used Nacco's Printol 12 for several years now with great results. A $13 bottle lasted me well over a year. I went to Freestyle for more and was informed that NACCO is out of business. I ended up with some clayton P20 which is 2x the price and recommends a 1:7 dilution. I haven't had the chance to print any negs that were printed with the Printol yet but results seem similar to previous prints. These developers are similar, right?
    What's the closest equivalent to Printol 12 that's liquid, has long shelf life, and cheap?

thanks

vinny

Re: Alternative paper developer needed

Dektol....$13 should be 2 gallons stock, diluted 1:2 for 4 gallons working solution.... How many gallons of Printol did $13 buy?

multiplex

hi vinny

you might want to try ansco130 (forumulary 130 )
    it doesn't cost too much, is easy to mix
    and the stock solution lasts forever.
    i get about 8 gallons a year, and do prints and film in it.

the folks at the formulary are top shelf too

john

Quote Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
    Dektol....$13 should be 2 gallons stock, diluted 1:2 for 4 gallons working solution.... How many gallons of Printol did $13 buy?
    Dektol is sold only in powder form afaik, costs about $6.50/gallon, must be mixed in hot water, lasts about 2 months in partially full container.

A gallon of printol made about 10 gallons of working solution at 1:10 for $13 and lasted for at least a year undiluted.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi vinny

you might want to try ansco130 (forumulary 130 )
    it doesn't cost too much, is easy to mix
    and the stock solution lasts forever.
    i get about 8 gallons a year, and do prints and film in it.

the folks at the formulary are top shelf too

john
    FWIW, I just mixed up a batch of Ansco 130 as john nanian suggested and...I'm liking it!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dave Karp

Freestyle sells a variety of concentrated liquid chemistry under their Arista brand name. They have at least two levels of product: Arista Premium and Arista (I think). I believe, but do not know for sure that all of these are actually made by Clayton. For sure, the Premium line is made by Clayton. I think the Arista prices are pretty reasonable.

In general, liquid developers cost more than the powder versions.

Ethol LPD once published a system whereby a gallon of powder could be used to make up a gallon of working solution and a gallon of replenisher. I used the working solution according to directions, and even though it got so dark one had to tonque the print out of solution to see the image, it never stained. IIRC, one added about an ounce of replenisher for every ten or so 8x10 prints after the working solution got a bit slow. Just keep pouring the working solution back in the jug after a working solution. When the gallon of replenisher was used up, mix up another batch.

I'd recommend the Ansco 130, too. I've used the PF version, and I've mixed my own. I use it by diluting 1:1, then pouring the developer into two 1L glass bottles. I use one for my working developer, and at the end of every session, I top up the bottle with developer from the second bottle. When the second bottle is empty (usually more than a year later) I mix new. The stuff gets really dark sometimes, but it still works just the same.
    juan

The only downside with Ansco 130 for me (apart from the upfront cost) is the three-minute development time. My prints don't look *that* much better in 130 than in Dektol, and I irrationally resent the extra time spent. But my tests over the last few years suggest that for modern cold-tone papers, the choice of print developers is not critical. So it was back to Dektol for me.

As i mentioned in my original post, i'm not interested in Powders, ie Dektol. I don't get to print that often and heating water, mixing, then waiting for a working solution to cool isn't what i'm looking for.
    David, you are correct regarding Clayton and Arista. They didn't have the whole line in the store though.
    Ansco 130 looks like it's about $36.00 per 4 gallons as apposed to printol which was $13 for about 10 gallons. The clayton P20 i picked up makes 7 gallons for $23. So far it's the best deal for price and convienence.