Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How badly do you want 5x7 holders?

jetcode

Re: How badly do you want 5x7 holders?

You know I was following that auction but that is truly insane. The Shen-Hao's are just fine at $67 each. I prefer plastic to wood but I'm not that fussy.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    I thought Fotoman already announced prices higher then the Shen holders.

You can find used holders for much less. The question is how much is your time worth? The time to find them. The time to test them. The time to fix any problems. I bought a bunch of older ones for less then 10 per this year. I also bought a hand full of new Shen. I wish the Shen were cheaper but the combination of new and old works for me.
    $75 each is what was rumored around here

Quote Originally Posted by jetcode View Post
    You know I was following that auction but that is truly insane. The Shen-Hao's are just fine at $67 each. I prefer plastic to wood but I'm not that fussy.
    Right now the market for 5x7 film holders is illiquid and in every market that exhibits these characteristics there is the potential high volatility in price that was demonstrated in the referenced auction. This market is attempting to illicit two outcomes given this condition. First is that it is trying to pry 5x7 holders from existing users and go through a re-distribution phase (ie. a quasi demand destruction event) and secondly, this event is telling the entrepreunerials that there is an opportunity in sequestering this demand by producing new 5x7 holders and that is happening as we speak. Unfortunately, we need to be a bit patient for the new product to hit the market and patience has never been a strong personal trait for artists.

Hang in there a bit longer and everything should be thumbs up. I expect that the new plastic holders will be as good if not better than the Lisco/Fidelity models that they are replacing and the increase in price is not surprising considering new tooling and increased raw materials pricing. I am still scratching my head as to why someone domestically did not find a way to acquire and continue production of Lisco/Fidelity as they would surely have a leg up on the competition but stranger things happen all the time.

Onward!

I think I will hold on to the 100 I have until the price gets to $150 each. Then I will sell them along with a like number of 4x5 and half as many 8x10 and retire. Seriously,those prices are truly ridiculous. If I find any in my travels I will buy them up and offer them here or on APUG for more reasonable prices. I am not about to sell the ones I have at any price.

I've only got three old (two Kodak wooden & 1 Fidelity) 5x7 holders BUT good quality half plate holders are really cheap at the moment and the negs are not really that much smaller so that's the route I'm taking on a temporary basis. A good selection of half plate film is available over here.
    Pete.

I have the dubious distinction of having bought the last 12 Fidelity holders on sale in the UK (at least I think that they were!), from Linhof & Studio Ltd. They are not for sale, but given the above, maybe it would be silly not to think again…

Scott Davis

I've bought the Shen Haos. I'm fairly happy with them - I got a second batch and one of them (out of eight) is a hair too tight for the film to seat properly. I'm going to give Badger Graphic a call and get it swapped out. Otherwise, I'm pleased. I'd rather pay the $67 each for them and have new good holders that don't leak (and as another plus, the light traps are held on with screws, so when the felt wears out, you can open them up and replace it!). I'm willing to wait and see what folks say about the Fotoman holders, because I'm really getting itchy for their whole plate holders to come out. I bought a bunch of whole plate film in the last Ilford order, and it's cooling its heels in my film storage bin now. Having a pile of broken, incomplete film holders to scavenge parts off of is fine if you really want to go into the business of rehabbing film holders; otherwise they just take up lots of room and lots of time to sort the good from the bad, not to mention creating a non-performing inventory that you have cash invested in that you'll never get back.

jetcode

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I've bought the Shen Haos. I'm fairly happy with them - I got a second batch and one of them (out of eight) is a hair too tight for the film to seat properly. I'm going to give Badger Graphic a call and get it swapped out. Otherwise, I'm pleased. I'd rather pay the $67 each for them and have new good holders that don't leak (and as another plus, the light traps are held on with screws, so when the felt wears out, you can open them up and replace it!). I'm willing to wait and see what folks say about the Fotoman holders, because I'm really getting itchy for their whole plate holders to come out. I bought a bunch of whole plate film in the last Ilford order, and it's cooling its heels in my film storage bin now. Having a pile of broken, incomplete film holders to scavenge parts off of is fine if you really want to go into the business of rehabbing film holders; otherwise they just take up lots of room and lots of time to sort the good from the bad, not to mention creating a non-performing inventory that you have cash invested in that you'll never get back.
    Scott I have the same quality issues with the Shen-Hao. For the most part they work great but one or more have exhibited tight film insertion and one tight slide insertion.

The good news is Jeff says send them back for replacement.