Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chamonix 4x5 images moved

Re: Chamonix 4x5 images moved

"about 450mm" I'm considering selling my shen hao. Will the chamonix 45 focus a 450mm nikkor M at infinity?

There may be some variability among cameras but these are the specs that I rcvd:

"The Chamonix 045N-1 camera is $699. The technical data is as follows:
    Weight: 1,380g
    Bellows draw: 395 mm max, 45mm min,
    Rear standard swing: 20 degrees,
    Front rise: 45mm, Front fall: 30mm, Left and right shift:
    40mm

...Choices of wood: white Canadian maple and dark walnut. Choices of metals: dark and grey. Shipping by EMS is $75 and should reach your door in one week or two after leaving the factory."

The next batch is scheduled to be shipped from the factory on DEC 17th - it is my understanding that it is (just) too late to place an order for that shipment. The next batch will ship in approximately six months.

I ordered one mostly out of curiosity - the deal seems too good to be true!

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    I ordered one mostly out of curiosity - the deal seems too good to be true!
    same here Though I really am looking for a good field camera! If it turns out to be not what I was looking for (not having the chance to actually check it out first hand!) I'm sure it would have no trouble selling used to get most of my funding back, and towards something more traditional. I do hope it works out though, great looking camera

I wonder, how many are going out in this December batch? Curious to see how many they make in 6 months, and of what sizes? It's a great price, I would love to get a few of my coworkers into a nice 4x5, shooting alone isn't always enjoyable.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    This looks like a real sweet camera, my only wish is for a longer bellows extension. With the 305 mm limit I can't use my 16.5 inch R.D. Artar at infinity.

Don Bryant
    Don
    The max extension is 395mm (not 305) which is still short of 16.5"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Hi Don:

You misunderstood --- that was my 305 at full extension which focuses to about 5 feet! The camera has about 450mm of bellows.
    Jack, are you sure you have 450mm bellow? Mine only 395mm.

BTW, one solution is using extension brackets. see photos of the 2024 in For Sale section.

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Norris View Post
    Can any users of the Chamonix 45N-1 (the only 4x5 Chamonix makes I presume) answer a couple of questions?

Does the ground glass frame/back come off to allow use of the Graflock with a Polaroid 545i, etc.?

Any compatibility issues using Readyload or Quickload backs or the 545?

I see that the camera uses Technika style lensboards. Is it set up to use the lowered hole in the board or a centered hole? My understanding is that the Linhof brand boards and the boards made by most other manufactures have the lowered hole as this is what centers the lens on a Technika. But I've seen some aftermarket boards that are centered.

Also anyone have feedback about whether the maple or walnut woods make any difference beyond aethetics? I'm thinking about durability, stability, etc.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne Norris View Post
    I'm not clear. Is the gg acrylic? Thanks.

Mine is glass, and it came with a fresnel installed too.
    Amund

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    "about 450mm" I'm considering selling my shen hao. Will the chamonix 45 focus a 450mm nikkor M at infinity?

My camera is totally stock, so the extension is whatever the manufacturer says it is. Knowing everybody overanalyzes what you say on a forum, I should never have said "About 450" --- my stupid. However, all that out of the way, one could certainly focus their prized 450 if they use a top-hat board...
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

PS: My Polaroid holder is an older metal one, and it fits/works just fine on the Cham!
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    My camera is totally stock, so the extension is whatever the manufacturer says it is. Knowing everybody overanalyzes what you say on a forum, I should never have said "About 450" --- my stupid. However, all that out of the way, one could certainly focus their prized 450 if they use a top-hat board...
    Well for what it is worth I rarely focus the 16.5 inch (~420mm) R.D. Artar at infinity so that alone wouldn't stop me from buying one of these cameras. The only problem I have now is deciding which camera to purchase first, a Shen 5x7 or the Chamonix 4x5. Right now I'm leaning toward the 4x5 but I was quite smitten with the Shen when Don Hutton showed me his Shen 5x7.

Decisions, decisions, too many cameras, to little time. Who said the old days were better?

Don Bryant