Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Wista SP or Used Master Technika?

New Wista SP or Used Master Technika?

I've recently received lots of useful information regarding the Master Technika from the good folks here on the forum. I was chasing one on ebay but to know avail. The thing is I've just discovered a decent deal on a new Wista SP Metal Field and going by all the previous threads I've read, it seems like a well built and very capable camera for mainly landscape work. If Im not mistaken I think It was described as a personal favorite by Steve Simmons. I'm unsure what to do.... New Wista SP or Used Master Technika? What do you think.......?

Best kev

Re: New Wista SP or Used Master Technika?

If you don't need the rangefinder on the Master Tech, then you might look more at the Technika 2000 (or 3000 if you're buying new), which handles wide lenses more easily.

The Wista has less bellows extension built in (you can add more with attachments, but it's not as convenient as having a longer bellows), so if macro is something you want to do, you might lean toward Linhof. On the other hand, for landscapes, less bellows means less rail and support and usually a lighter camera.

Also, consider a Tech V or IV, to broaden your options for a used Technika. They are very similar to the current Master Tech. I use the V. The IV has a knob for the front rise that is harder to access with wide lenses than the ratcheting lever on the V, MT, 2000 and 3000. If you use the rangefinder, cams have to be calibrated to the body as well as the lens with the IV, and with the V and MT, the groundglass is zeroed, so that cammed lenses are interchangeable between bodies. It's a good idea to send the body in and have it calibrated anyway when you have new lenses cammed, so the zeroed groundglass is not as much of an advantage as it would seem, unless you own more than one camera body. The MT, 2000, and 3000 have a flap on the top of the body that can allow more front rise with the latest lenses from 72-90mm that have sufficient coverage to take advantage of that feature.

I've had the Tech V and the SP and they are "related" but different. The SP is very well built but considerably lighter and less robust than a Technika, but you could argue the Technika is overbuilt. Think of a Toyota compared to a Mercedes. But would you rather have a new Toyota or a 15-year old Mercedes? Even a nice used Master Tech can be 30 years old - the bellows do wear out, everything needs service, etc.

In normal use, the movement controls are different. Perhaps the Wista is more conventional, although I never figured out what the supposed "Micro Swing" did for me. The Wista VX doesn't have the Micro-Swing so it saves the $ and weight.

Once you use the rangfinder on a Technika you find more opportunities so it is a nice option to explore. Personally I use a Tech V.

Either will do fine -- get whichever is less expensive.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

There's a reason why photographers such as John Sexton, Bruce Barnbaum, Don Kirby, et al use a Linhof Technika. Technikas are the gold standard of large format fold-up field cameras in terms of smoothness of operation, fit, finish, build quality, etc. Some version of the Technika has been around for over sixty years and Linhof was building earlier models of LF cameras well before that. And you still see plenty of them being used today. I'm sure the Wista is a fine camera and if it has some features that make it more useful to you then by all means get it. But if it's just kind of a toss-up between a new camera vs. a used camera, as it seems to be from the nature of your question, then I'd get the Master Technika (I've owned a Tech V and a Master).

Apart from any of that, personally I'd prefer the Technika if for no other reason than the 15 1/2 inch bellows vs the 12 inch bellows on the Wista. I like to use a 300mm lens and I don't want to have to fiddle around with the Wista extension accessories to do it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

One little item to consider. The Technika is built like a tank, but it does have one little Achilles heel -- the bellows. They are very thin (so you can use very short and very long lenses), and probably will have to be replaced every few years at considerable expense ($300-$400 in the USA). So be aware of this when buying a used Technika. Otherwise, they're pretty much bulletproof. (My Teck IV is about 50 years old, and is on its third bellows. I have Zeiss plate and folding cameras from the '20s which still have good bellows, and the bellows on Graflex cameras must be made of Indestructium.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

What's the widest lens you expect to use?

I know that the Master, and I think the 2000 (not sure), have the hinged top that raises up, so that it doesn't interfere with raising shorter lenses. That's something that I don't think is available on the Wista.

Kev,
    Personally, I use a Tech IV which was built in the late 50's. Still a very useful platform today. It has plenty of movements for me and allows the use of a 300mm lens. I have never replaced the bellows, but a previous owner did as it is not the original. If I were to buy a used camera, I think I would consider a Marflex CLA right away and you could be sure that all was OK. Mine has been serviced twice in the 15 years I have owned it-always by Marflex. Third party bellows are available and can be replaced by the user if you're at all handy.
    Damn the farfegnugen-full speed ahead
    DP

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    have to be replaced every few years at considerable expense ($300-$400 in the USA). So be aware of this when buying a used Technika. Otherwise, they're pretty much bulletproof. (My Teck IV is about 50 years old, and is on its third bellows.
    So, in your case, every few years averages once every 16.66 years? Many cameras themselves don't last 16.66 years much less be repairable after 50 years.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    What's the widest lens you expect to use?

I know that the Master, and I think the 2000 (not sure), have the hinged top that raises up, so that it doesn't interfere with raising shorter lenses. That's something that I don't think is available on the Wista.
    So does the 3000.