Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo CPP-2 processor questions

Cool Jobo CPP-2 processor questions

I've been offered a Jobo CPP-2 processor. I've read the insturctions online and that answered most of my questions as to size, water tempering (heat only), etc. I have a question regarding where/how I will have to use the processor at my home.

I don't have a darkroom nor am I likely to have a darkroom unless I win the lottery and add on to the house. I am able to load Jobo tanks in a dark bathroom. The CPP-2 will have to be used on a desk in my un-air conditioned garage. In Texas. I also won't have access to incoming cold water. There is a refrigerator in the garage to supply ice to the tempering water bath. For about 4-6 months (like right now) the garage temperature is cool enough for B&W film developer at 68-75 degrees. Summers are warmer. Tap water in the summer is usually above 75 degrees.

Does this arrangement seem workable? Process E-6 in the summer and B&W in the winter? Do both year round with a bit of practice and some ice cubes? Where do the chemicals go after each step? I do plan to use dilute developers one time. Will the CPP-2 handle 750ml of liquid in a Jobo 3010 Expert tank? If 750ml is too much, how about 500ml? Is the fixer recovered? Do I need access to a drain for the chemicals?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Re: Jobo CPP-2 processor questions

My CPA-2 is sitting on a table in a spare bedroom. I have no running water available, but the floors are tile, so if I have a spill, all is not lost. I bring in water for tempering bath in buckets. To keep temperatures down, I always keep two 1L bottles in the freezer. Add one or more frozen bottles at the far end and it will bring temperatures down. The heater set at the right temperature brings it back up as it flows into the tempering basin. It's worked very well for me. Every week I change the water by putting my 5-gallon bucket under the drain hose and letting it go. Then I have my son take the bucket to the utility room and dump it out for me and bring a fresh bucket in. After all, what are sons for if not to carry the buckets of water for their aging dad?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Thanks Michael. I don't have a son to tote the water. I do have a laundry sink within 20' of the desk where the CPP-2 would sit. As for disposal of the tempering water, there is a flower bed a few feet beyond the laundry sink. From what you describe, I should be fine. The tip about the 1 liter bottles is great!
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Thanks Michael. I don't have a son to tote the water. I do have a laundry sink within 20' of the desk where the CPP-2 would sit. As for disposal of the tempering water, there is a flower bed a few feet beyond the laundry sink. From what you describe, I should be fine. The tip about the 1 liter bottles is great!
    Just don't fill the bottles all the way before you freeze them. Water expands when it freezes. Leave an inch or so free and loosen the tops so air escapes. Obviously, this precludes lying them on their side in the freezer.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Thanks again. I knew that and have the burst bicycle water bottles to prove it!
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Oh? We both learned the same way?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

I take over my kitchen ......

CPP goes on one side of the sink and I set it off to stabilise water bath temperature. I don't hook up a cold water return, but if I here the relay click (opening the feed valve) I add some cold water.

One the other side of the sink, I prep my developer, stop, fix and washaid and have those ready to go. When the bath temperature is on setpoint I pour the developer into the 'test-tube' type things and put them in the bath. Give em a few minutes and were off to the races ....

I don't get any grief from the missus because I usually develop her 35mm stuff with mine. She only gets upset at the huge amounts of water I use and then dump from the Jobo's water bath.

Cool I guess we did

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    Oh? We both learned the same way?
    We must have. Mine was a spiffy Cannondale bottle with the Velcro attaching system. Hated to see it go.

Thinking more about cooling the water: I have several small "Blue Ice" thingies that might work very well.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Cool Re: Jobo CPP-2 processor questions

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post
    I take over my kitchen ......
    I don't get any grief from the missus because I usually develop her 35mm stuff with mine. She only gets upset at the huge amounts of water I use and then dump from the Jobo's water bath.
    At my home the kitchen is not an option.

As long as I don't say anything about the frequency of the sprinkler system for the yard and flower beds, 5 gallons of water added to the flower beds won't get me in trouble.
    Wayne

Wayne's Blog

Wayne
    I routinely do E-6 loads in a 3010 with 250 mL chemical loads- never had a problem. Check used lab equipment suppliers for recirculating chillers- they can be had for reasonable prices if you dont mind older models. The supplier I use often is Bid Service in New Jersey