Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arista Film Redux

Arista Film Redux

Someone had said that Arista 4x5 film is a thinner Ilford. I just ordered some f rom Freestyle and was told that it is 4 mil while all of my other 4x5 is 7 mil. So it is thinner than most Kodak but I don't know how thick Ilford HP & FP is.

Is there anything I need to know when using the 4 mil film?

BTW, I miked a number of sheets of Kodak and most are .0082 - .0085".

Arista Film Redux

Just the ASA/ISO and or your personal film speed. I've been using it for years with no ill effects. Love the stuff at that price!

Arista Film Redux

You will need less exposure time to make a print, I first noticed this when I started using Panotomic X Aero which is .0025 and had to close down to maintian the times I needed to dodge/burn. Pat

Arista Film Redux

I received the Arista film. First, it's the same thickness as the Kodak and Agfa film, perhaps a tad smaller, .0078 vs .0082.

I shot some test sheets using the scale in the Kodak Prof. Photoguide and other stuff, developed in D-76 1:1 according to the instructions on the box and scanned. I used 2 #2 reflector photofloods and calculated the exposure using the Kodak Master Photoguide for photoflood lighting at ISO 125, 5:1 lighting ratio so I got some light shadows in the pic. I used a quick disk to get a bellows compensation of 1.1. I bracketed + - 1 stop using both shutter speed and f-stop. Negs that should have matched did.

The highlights somehow have too much contrast. From Zone V up, the scale is stretched giving the soft shadows a harsh appearance. Zone 3 density is OK. There is quite a bit of grain and local contrast is only fair, no real "edge effect".

So far, I don't like the results. Perhaps D-76 at 1:1 is the culprit.

What am I doing wrong? - Thanks in advance.

Arista Film Redux

Is your D-76 fresh? Oddly enough, it can become more active as it oxidizes, pushing up contrast. I made that mistake last week with three rolls of TMX, which is quite sensitive to such variations, and found I had to print them at grade 0. Arista might show similar results, but to a lesser extreme.

Arista Film Redux

Yes, I mixed it about 2 hours before I used it. I used RO (pure) water. I don't see how it could have oxidized but I suppose anything is possible.

I have some Microphen I could try, but that's primarily for pushing I think. I also have some Rodinal on the way.

Arista Film Redux

Use ASA 80 and cut you development time by 15 to 20% for starters.

Arista Film Redux

>>> Use ASA 80 and cut you development time by 15 to 20% for starters. <<<

OK, I'll try it. How about the ISO 400?

Thanks!

Arista Film Redux

I don't know what went wrong, in fact I have no idea, but something did. You should not be getting "quite a bit of grain" with the Arista 125 and D-76 1:1. Quite a bit of grain compared to what? Tech Pan? Are you sure you didn't overexpose? Did something screwy happen with the temperature in your development process? It sounds like you were pretty careful but the results don't make sense to me; I use this stuff by the box and even in Rodinal the grain isn't so bad. (I haven't used Rodinal with the 400 speed Arista roll film, and haven't printed the 400 speed 4x5 sheet film that large, but the 125 I've used in Rodinal with quite a bit of enlargement.) I'd go out and shoot something other than a test strip and develop and print. Give it one more try. If it still doesn't work for you, give up and go back to whatever you like to use.

Arista Film Redux

Bill,

I see now you apparently were using the 400 speed. Even so, in D-76 grain should not have been noticeably bad.

Erik