Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Source

Open Source

I think I have hit a wall. Open Source software has infected me, philosophically at least, to the point that I really don't want to have to keep updating my operating system with proprietary software. I currently work with mac hardware but am not opposed to pc, just the software. So, here's my questions:

Do any of you out there either pc or mac hardware run a open source operating system?
    Which one would you suggest for mac hardware?
    Which one would you suggest for pc based hardware?

PBrooks
    Last edited by PBrooks; 28-Nov-2007 at 19:34. Reason: spelling

Re: Open Source

nobody?

http://www.redhat.com/redhat/linux/gnu works pretty well (go to Fedora Link) http://fedoraproject.org/
    As well as their open-office and graphics applications software (Gimp) http://www.gimp.org/
    Regular updates as developed.

Hi,

I share the same concern, and would like to replace Win2K on my Pc with a Linux version. I already have Debian on a Mac, which works except for the net connection. I personnally like Debian, which I found easy to install and maintain.

I just wonder if I'll find an equivalent to Silverfast to operate my 4990 scanner efficiently.

I'd be happy to get feedback from open software users

Now and again use Ubuntu on desktop, use OpenBSD on as many of my servers as I can at work...

I've used most of the common distros. The biggest annoyance is installing software. To install something, you need something else, and so on. We call it "dependency hell". In this regard, the one that really impresses me is Open SUSE 10.3. Their "One Click Install" is a marvel. I prefer KDE over Gnome (you can choose at install time). The toolset seems to fit me better.

Some of the tools are not as refined, IMHO. I never warmed up to GIMP as a Photoshop substitute, but maybe I just need more practice. I'm sure some GIMP fan will flay me alive for having said that.

Wireless on a laptop can be problematic, especially if there's security involved.

I fiddle with computers for a living, and I've watched GNU/Linux get better by leaps and bounds. Good luck!

Having spent years as a software-database manager assisting our IT chief with Sun system servers (and its unix flavor), I would ask if you really want to go down that road. There always is an update to install for something, either the OS, applications, library or other software. It's the never ending chore of keeping your system current for itself and the applications - after all how many applications restrict their software and installation to the latest few OS versions? All? And there's always something that doesn't work after every installation.

Just my view. And sorry I don't mind Mac's update for the ease. Leopard is another matter, and I'll push Tiger until Apple won't support it or other new software won't work with it, like anything Adobe.

The question to me is always how you want to spend your time. If you love computers, go for it, but if not think hard if it's the right choice.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Vuescan is available for Linux. Picture Window will run under WINE for editing.

I would suggest either YDL ( Yellow Dog Linux ) or Ubuntu Linux for Mac hardware and Ubuntu for PC. Ubuntu has the easiest installer I have found.

To echo Scott, I have been a software developer for a good many years and I love OS for my work, At work I have to push a machine and run virtual machines. That being said, at home I have a Mac running Tiger. At home I just want stuff to work.

One final note: Life is just too da*n short to be messing with MS Windows

I use Ubuntu on the desktop and CentOS for servers (It's Red Hat Enterprise Linux - RHEL but free)