Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schneider 355/620mm Symmar Convertible

Re: Schneider 355/620mm Symmar Convertible

Pere, the rear of the front cell of the 360/5.6 is only 54mm in diameter and the front of the rear cell is smaller again at 52mm, so a #4 shutter with a 52mm throat will not cause any mechanical vignetting.

The front cell for the f6.8 version is physically different with a rear diameter of 50mm while the rear cell is unchanged apart from the location of the threads. The diameters of the Symmar-S are smaller again at 46mm front and 39mm rear in part due to a design that partly encloses the end of the cell.

You are right, mine also has those 52mm in the front of the rear cell... no vignet...

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    Also it would be interesting (to me) to understand how "aperture" is calculated when mechanical vigneting is there, and if this is a factor to consider with the Symmar 360mm in IV and V shutters.
    Papi, mechnical vignetting usually refers to vignetting by a physical barrier outside of the lens. For example, when a 60/14 Perigraphe is stuffed into the front of an unmodified Ilex #3 the shutter's rear tube vignettes severely, greatly restricts coverage.

What do you mean by mechanical vignetting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Papi, mechnical vignetting usually refers to vignetting by a physical barrier outside of the lens. For example, when a is stuffed into the front of an unmodified Ilex #3 the shutter's rear tube vignettes severely, greatly restricts coverage.

What do you mean by mechanical vignetting?
    Dan, yes... usually it refers to obstacles that are outside of the lens: filters, a too tight compendium shade... because designers don't place much obstacles inside the lens.

But I guess that Mechanical Vigneting concept is not limited to the outside, a physical obstacle may be also inside, in a way that's not (necessarily) limiting the image circle but generating additional fall-off, so adding fall-off that's not explained by the lens formula or to the (size of elements related) optical vigneting.

This was my understanding, but I don't know for sure if I'm right...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    For example, when a 60/14 Perigraphe is stuffed into the front of an unmodified Ilex #3 the shutter's rear tube vignettes severely, greatly restricts coverage.
    In that case, if the Perigraphe had an additional cell in the rear of the (unmodified Ilex #3) shutter, then we still would have Mechanical Vigneting, produced inside the lens...

So... a too small shutter may provocate internal Mechanical Vigneting, isn't it ? ...because what's optical vigneting this is from too small elements...

The question is if the vignet from a too small shutter (in a plasmat, for example) is Mechanical Vigneting or if it isn't... Perhaps it's possible to generate fall-off in this way while not limiting the circle, or the effective transmission for the image center, mostly when wide open...

Papi, I'm not sure that what you're thinking of -- diaphragm that doesn't open wide enough to allow a lens to reach full aperture -- has a name. At least in English, it is not called mechanical vignetting.

Dan, diafragm is (usually) placed in a node point, this is a point in which we can restrict the light amount without vignetting, this is without mechanically vignetting, so diafragm is an special case in what the obstacle does not produce a vignet.

If the diafragm was not in the right place then we would have a mechanical vignet, IIRC...