Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Berlebach tripods - advice?

Re: Berlebach tripods - advice?

I have the Berlebach Report 4012, and the Manfrotto 410 head. It is gorgeous, sturdy, and durable. I scout my scenes with a digital P/S, then go back with the Berlebach/camera and make the picture.
    You will be happy, and get lots of compliments.

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

I have a 4002. It's a great tripod and I use it for my 8x10 when I'm driving to the shoot.
    When I fly I use a 8003, because it's smaller when closed. Either would work fine for a 4x5.

I have pics/discription of the most popular models on my site... plus I'm in Canada.

-Rob
    www.bigcameraworkshops.com

I have an Report 8033 in nutwood tripod for supporting an Ebony 45SU and it's great. I had it modified from standard to make it the same height as the Manfrotto I was replacing. It was simply an email to Berlebach asking them to quote for the different spec and delivery to the UK - no problem and it came through in a couple of weeks. I've since tweaked it to put the Manfrotto spiked/rubber feet on rather than the Berlebach ones as the "rubber" is actually hard plastic which I felt would slide on hard floors when I'm doing indoor architecture shots.

I got the levelling head as I felt it would come in more useful than the centre column - I always felt it was a weakness on the Manfrotto 055. Not having the centre column also allows me to get down really close to the ground if needed. The leg clamps are great for when you've got gloves on when it's cold. OK, it's not quick-release leg adjustment but I'm not in that much of a rush...

Andrew

I have the 3002 model and use it for 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. It is overkill for the 4x5 and handles the 8x10 with ease. Rock solid. This model has no center column so that saves a bit of weight. I agree with Andrew that the plastic feet are slippery indoors. I was thinking of using rubber ends for table legs to fix that issue. Outdoors the metal spike feet work great. All in all a great pod for a great price.

Ron, the legs do not fall off if you forget to tighten them. There is a mechanical stop that prevents this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bose View Post
    Do Berlebach extension legs fallout if you forget to re-tighten the clamp after extending the leg ?

My Ries J100-2 has a second clamp thingy and so can't ever slip out, the H100 however isn't the same ...
    No. There is a stop screw at the ends of the legs so they can't fall out.

I have a 3032 bought used and its a great tripod. It easily supported my 5x7 Korona with the extension rail maxed out. It can probably handle a wooden 8x10 without any trouble. Buy one!

Hello

1. I've got interested in Berlebach tripod. I am 1.85m high, so I consider 1.65m tripod too short. That leads me to conclusion that I will need to buy a model with a center column, [sigh].
    Can You tell me which model is the highest not counting the center column extension in?
    I consider the 4022 model. Any advices against it? I want to take it with 3/8" thread.

2. The accessories. I am just starting, so I have nothing, just a 4x5 Plaubel Profia camera. Should I get also something from the accessories to be really able to use that tripod?
    I prefer to but tripod head later.

I hope it will be high quality enough to pass it to grandson later
    I would try Reis, by the prices are too high for me, and the producer is far far away in USA, behind big water, VAT and custom fees.

Void,

As I mentioned in my post above, Berlebach can custom make a tripod for you. Send them your desired modifications and allow them to quote for the difference in price and lead time - neither were much more than standard and the tripod actually came earlier than I was expecting from the delivery estimate.

Andrew

Two Berlebachs. Love 'em both. But like you, I'm shopping around for a QR head.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I got a Berlebach 3032. Strong attractive solid reasonably priced, but ultimately, not quite what I wanted.

I've used, and I guess gotten very used to, a Bogen/Manfroto 3236 tripod with the ?3047? ( I can't remember the number ) 3 way tilt heavy duty head. I really like the wide leg spread and the ability to lock the legs at any spread. It feels incredibly stable. Heavy too, but...

So the Berlebach doesn't lock other than at a rather narrow leg spread, and I just haven't been able to get to like it. Habit. Wish I liked it more, but I don't. I tried using a chain to lock the legs at a more wide open spread, but the assembly is too wiggly during setup for me. I really like the positive locking on the 3032s and want that on any future tripods.

I am so taken with the leg spread and locking issues that I bought a second Bogen/Manfroto 3236 and added the Sinar pan tilt head, for use with LF. I'm not a fan of the Bogen hex quick release plate with heavy big cameras, though I love it with small stuff - MF and 35...

Despite all, the Berlebach tripods should be wonderful for a lot of people - I'd be using mine had it positive locks. I "lent" mine to a young person who's just getting into LF, who was using a too light weight item as a stopgap. I think the Berlebach was a real step up for him. I can heartliy recommend the Berlebach tripods to anyone who isn't hung up on the positive leg locks. It does feel like worthy piece of gear.

C