Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Berlebach tripods - advice?

Berlebach tripods - advice?

Can anyone tell me about this tripod?

I have a Shen Hao 4x5, with a 180mm lens, by way of cameras. These seem OK but I'd like some real-world advice before dropping some dough on a product.

It also seems to make sense to get a tripod head with a quick release plate I can keep on the camera...any help there also would garner you a free pint (offer conditional on us being in the same city!)

http://www.bigcameraworkshops.com/default2.asp

George Sheils

Re: Berlebach tripods - advice?

I have a Berlebach 3032 Tripod in Nutwood colour and it is both beautiful to look at and steady as a rock. Not very heavy either. It would easily hold the Shen Hao and any lens that you place on it.

Btw, I carry it with a Optech strap which clips around the built in levelling head on one end and around the feet at the other end. I then carry it rifle-style over one shoulder with camera in place. So quick and easy.

Don't suppose you'll be in Dublin, Ireland anytime soon to buy me a pint?

I'm afraid you'll have to take an IOU on that pint, George but rest assured I'm good for it. If you want I can drink it by proxy for you...

I have an 8043 model and really love it. The leveling base it wonderful! The 8043 is strong and relatively light weight for its max load rating. I have sed it for...every view camera I've owned including the 5x7 B&J (probably the heaviest camera I've owned at just under eleven pounds). It easily accomodates the Canham wood field (at around six pounds?).

Since I have had a long and lasting commitment to the six sided Bogen/Manfrotto quick release system on my view cameras, I chose to add a simple Bogen Manfrotto quick release adapter to the top of the Berlebach center column. I have no need for a (heavy) tripod head proper....

The one thing I wish I could change about the 8043 that I bought?...the mounting screw. The one I got from B&H (or was it Adorama?) has a 1/4 -20 screw.

Oh, and the center column. By default it comes with a pretty long center column. Shorter and longer center columns are avaialble but their kinda $$ if bought after the fact. I simply took a hack saw to the bottom end of mine. It cleaned up nice and I doubt you could even tell.

I wish I had been able or had the foresite to get a center column with a 3/8 - 16 camera mounting screw and that is literally my only complaint about the Berlebach 8043....well, that and I wish I could get its little brother the 7043 for travel. Although relatively light and compact, the 8043 is too big to throw in even my biggest suit case. The 7043 isn't readily available in the US...for some bizarre reason. I wish it were. I'd buy one in a minute.

The quick release thingy is shown here. It is a Bogen/Manfrotto 625 (old number 3296).

Colin,

Buying more gear are you ? I have the 3042 and 8023.

I like the built in ballhead on the 3042 as most of my lf work is not tilted very much front/back or side/side. The length is a beeoch though. I use a Manfrotto (Bogen) 357 Pro Video QR Adapter. The dovetail slides into the qr and has a safety catch preventing it from dropping out the other end. Love it and works fine for my 8x10.

The 8023 length is very nice for packing/ travelling. The head is simple column which would need a proper head.

What I ended up doing was swapping out the legs so the ballhead has the three section legs. Haven't tried the 8x10 on the three legger so that may be a short lived swap but will see.

I've never had probs with Berlebachs and doubt you would either.

That makes several pints you owe me comrade.

ttyl
    notch codes ? I only use one film...

I have two Berlebach tripods - one single extension for 26lb cameras and one triple extension reporter model. Both are well crafted, very rigid and light weight plus easy to set up. They cost much less than other wood pods. Both have the leveling ball, which I like because I can either use it as-is to keep the camera close to the top of the pod (reduces leverage on the pod) or I can put a regular head on if I like.

I recommend that you avoid the octagonal, cheap plates as quick releases. I use the slide-in design for video cameras that has a thumbscrew lock and safety - it will never, ever, come off unless I want it to, and it does not wiggle as the octagonal and rectangular quick releases do. Setup is a breeze and the whole kit is solid as a rock. Both tripods work fine for 8x10 use, however I use the larger two-extension one for longer lenses and higher winds.

With the slim height of the video quick release, the tripod is much sturdier than a boat anchor Gitzo metal pod that I have but without the difficulty to extend the legs (easy set screw type leg locking on Berlebach, twist lock on the Gitzo).

Can't beat Berlebach for value. Build quality is excellent, prices are very reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I wish I could get its little brother the 7043 for travel. Although relatively light and compact, the 8043 is too big to throw in even my biggest suit case. The 7043 isn't readily available in the US...for some bizarre reason. I wish it were. I'd buy one in a minute.
    You can have your dealer order any Berlebach product. While we do not stock all their products (we are introducing two of their pan heads next month) we are more then happy to special order the items that we do not stock. Delivery time is normally about 30 days and your dealer would have to call us for prices.

I'm very happy with a Berlebach for my Tachihara. Mine has no column but a leveling head, and I do not miss the column at all.

It is very light, and stable more than enough for my Tachi .

Do Berlebach extension legs fallout if you forget to re-tighten the clamp after extending the leg ?

My Ries J100-2 has a second clamp thingy and so can't ever slip out, the H100 however isn't the same ...