Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Berlebach tripods - advice?

Re: Berlebach tripods - advice?

Kent, you should consider the Ries J100-2. I have a J100, a J100-2 and an A100 that I only use for 11x14. Use the J100-2 for most everything smaller, incl my 8x10's. Also have a Berlebach Report 2042 that I never use. Not good for anything heavier than 4x5. L

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    I have a fairly heavy Berlebach that has a rising column (that I NEVER use.) It's great for my Chamonix 4x5 but very marginal for my Kodak 2D 8x10. I'm looking at something like a Ries A100 for that.

Kent in SD
    A Uni, very heavy, or a Report series?

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    A Uni, very heavy, or a Report series?

It's pretty heavy. Does hold the Kodak 2D so the legs are pretty substantial. It works well with the Chamonix 045n and my Gundlach Korona 5x7. The bowl head & column are the weak point. The "platform" on top the column is only about 2.5 inches diameter too. Not sure what series, there are no markings. I bought it from B&H about 20 years ago.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

It's pretty heavy. Does hold the Kodak 2D so the legs are pretty substantial. It works well with the Chamonix 045n and my Gundlach Korona 5x7. The bowl head & column are the weak point. The "platform" on top the column is only about 2.5 inches diameter too. Not sure what series, there are no markings. I bought it from B&H about 20 years ago.

Kent in SD
    That’s the Report series. The Uni is much larger and heavier with a much larger bowl.

Check them out on the Berlebach factory site.

Foamer

That’s the Report series. The Uni is much larger and heavier with a much larger bowl.

Will do. I actually do like the Berlbach.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

The Report series are useful with any light camera, from almost any 4x5" up to a Wehman 8x10". I have a Report 813, without column, with a plate and star knob screw. I use it with any cameras up my SuperTechnika V 1318 (with head, and lens it's near 6,5 Kg and it has a good balance) The maximum loads they declare on their data are calculated for a tripod with column, the plate is more solid.

The Uni series are intended for heavy equipment, like 5x7 or 8x10 heavy monorails. I will go for a 84C for my Master Kardan as soon as I can. Always without column. I need to see the ground glass, so I don't need a tall tripod, and their line of three sections tripods are my first choice.

Columns, tilt columns and top plates are all interchangeable. Just choose the 2 or 3 section one that fits your needs. And weight requirements.
    Thank you Bob. I had a deeper look at the Berlebach site and for my needs I found the 302 and the 803 to be good enough: max height at 139 and 131cm, not too heavy (2.8 and 2.3 kilos). The 803 is a 3 section leg design so is more compact at 64cm when folded. I just have to think if there is any disadvantage on the 3 legs section compared to the 2 one. What do you think? The 963/75 is also interesting, it has a different base plate (bowl) that allows tilting.
    An used Gitzo 1325 is also in option but it will be more expensive than a brand new Berlebach.

I have a fairly heavy Berlebach that has a rising column (that I NEVER use.) It's great for my Chamonix 4x5 but very marginal for my Kodak 2D 8x10. I'm looking at something like a Ries A100 for that.

Kent in SD
    Hello and thank you. Ries are very difficult to find in Europe and also too pricey for my wallet. Though, I believe they worth all the money.

The UNI series is too heavy for my needs, they are rated for equipment up to 30 kilos.
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

Quote Originally Posted by Delfi_r View Post
    The Report series are useful with any light camera, from almost any 4x5" up to a Wehman 8x10". I have a Report 813, without column, with a plate and star knob screw. I use it with any cameras up my SuperTechnika V 1318 (with head, and lens it's near 6,5 Kg and it has a good balance) The maximum loads they declare on their data are calculated for a tripod with column, the plate is more solid.

The Uni series are intended for heavy equipment, like 5x7 or 8x10 heavy monorails. I will go for a 84C for my Master Kardan as soon as I can. Always without column. I need to see the ground glass, so I don't need a tall tripod, and their line of three sections tripods are my first choice.
    Thank you Delfi, I see the 813 is an 803 with just a different screw. What head do you use? So, nothing wrong with the 3 legs section, is it?
    Pressing the shutter is the only easy thing

The 803 lacks the star knob, very useful if you want to carry the tripod without heat. I always take out my Linhof 3D Micro. I had an old wood tripod with column (Berlebach or another german make before 1990). The flat plate is more solid, and I have no problems with the 3 section legs.

If you download the catalog on pdf you can see all possibilities

Quote Originally Posted by Roberto Nania View Post
    Thank you Bob. I had a deeper look at the Berlebach site and for my needs I found the 302 and the 803 to be good enough: max height at 139 and 131cm, not too heavy (2.8 and 2.3 kilos). The 803 is a 3 section leg design so is more compact at 64cm when folded. I just have to think if there is any disadvantage on the 3 legs section compared to the 2 one. What do you think? The 963/75 is also interesting, it has a different base plate (bowl) that allows tilting.
    An used Gitzo 1325 is also in option but it will be more expensive than a brand new Berlebach.

Hello and thank you. Ries are very difficult to find in Europe and also too pricey for my wallet. Though, I believe they worth all the money.

The UNI series is too heavy for my needs, they are rated for equipment up to 30 kilos.
    The more leg sections on a tripod the less stability and the more vibration.