Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tripod head for 4x5 -- recommendations?

Question Tripod head for 4x5 -- recommendations?

Although I covet a Linhof #3663 head, at $750 it's out of the question. Would a Bogan 468MG be a good alternate? (It's "only'" $302, and weighs several ounces less than the Linhof.)
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Re: Tripod head for 4x5 -- recommendations?

Hi Bill,

I'd say it depends a lot on the work you do.
    If you do any architectural work then a geared head is, I think, invalubale.
    I use the manfrotto 410 geared head..a great combination of precise movement and not too heavy.
    For location work, although I'd prefer the precise movements of the geared head I use an acratech ball head simply as it so lightweight and fairly compact but still strong enogh for a 54/hasselblad with heavy lens etc...but would rather a pan/tilt haed if there was one that was strong+light+small enough.

Marc

www.marcwilson.co.uk

As Mark said, it depends. I have both a Sinar pan tilt, which is ideal for the Sinar, and an Acratech, which is lighter for hiking. Since I currently use a Toho for hiking, if I was to buy now I would buy something even lighter than the Acratech.

Landscapes, mostly -- near the truck. I think that I've probably been overly influenced by seeing that KQED Video of Roman Loranc with his Technika on a #3663. He makes everything look so natural and easy.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Bill, I got pretty much beaten up Linhof 3D head that works perfectly for me. They usually go for around $200 in a good condition. The head is rather compact and weights 800g what I find aceptable (I was considering the geared head from Manfrotto - 410 that weights 1.2kg). The camera attaches with one screw that has a good grip on the round platform with cca 2 inch diameter so you do not need any fancy quick release system. It works well for my tachi with lenses up to 400mm (tele). You may also consider the GItzo G1270M or G1370M low profile magnesium 3-way heads.
    Matus

Hello Bill,

I'm in the same boat. I think that the Linhof 3663 is the head to get and hopefully will be in a position to get one soon enough. Buying a less expensive head when you have identified the optimum choice can easily become a false economy, I try not to put myself in that position. In the case that it remains completely impractical to spend enough to get the 3663 (and after all, making images is the point) I will buy a Gitzo 2270M. At $285.00 and 1.7 lb. the drawback is the long handles. I don't like ballheads very well for view cameras as it is difficult to make changes on one axis at a time.

Agreed John,
    I've never really got how others use ballheads with 54 successfully...I have yet to find a light, pan head tilt that does not have too long 'arms' but still holds the 54 cameras steady...so on far location where my manfrotto geared has been too heavy I've so far used the ballhead..it can work but it is a pain!
    I've also used the gitzo 2270M low profile pan tilt head but it really was fairly bulky with the long handles.
    So i'm still on the look out for what is basically a 2270 or similar but with short compact handles.

Marc

Hey Marc,

I have put up with a ballhead for years - time to make this more efficient. What do you think about severe shortening of the handles on a 2270M? Do you think they would be accessable enough when using a field camera with a flat wide base?

Quote Originally Posted by john collins View Post
    Hey Marc,

I have put up with a ballhead for years - time to make this more efficient. What do you think about severe shortening of the handles on a 2270M? Do you think they would be accessable enough when using a field camera with a flat wide base?
    ..so you mean get the linhof!!

really though that is the problem.
    The plate on the 2270 has to be big to support the cameras but its just the handles that are the problems.
    I guess you'd have to mount the camera you use and mark the handles as short as you dare...and then shorten the handles but in a way that allows you to replace the grips...thinking before you cut, "will I get enough leverage with these shortened grips", as they were made that way for a reason!
    I dont have that head any more so can't look at it but i assume the grips can be prised off and replaced onto the shortened tubes?

It will pretty much mean you won't be able to use any cameras with a larger base than the one you model it on but if you already use a flat base field camera that shuld not be a problem...but those dreams of a 10x8 on your gitzo head are out the window!

sorry Bill if this is hijacking your thread...but it may glean a solution or you!

Marc

Still Developing

There is a UK photographer called Joe Cornish who uses a BH55 ballhead in all the recent pictures I've seen of him (he has mentioned that it's the only ballhead he would use with 54)

Tim