Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uneven development and water spots?

Uneven development and water spots?

I'm processing Tmax 100 8x10 film on a Jobo 3005 Expert Drum and I routinely notice light colored streaks and occasionally water spots on many of my negatives.

My current process involves loading 5 films into the 3005, soak in water for about 2-3 minutes, develop with TMax RS developer for 7.5 minutes at 68 degrees, rinse in water for 1 minute, quick fix for 4 minutes, rinse in water 1 minute, perma-wash 2 minutes, then water rinse and Photo flow.

One thing to note, I am using a Beseler motor base to agitate the drum and I am loading the developer as the tank is standing before putting it onto the motor base. I do not rotate the tank in the opposite direction, the rotation stays in the same position during the full 7.5 minutes of the developer process. Could the streaks be caused by the developer flowing in at different rates into the tank as I pour it in? Should I fill the developer in when the 3005 is already rotating in the Beseler motor?

I'm attaching a picture below that shows an example of what I'm talking about. If you look at sky; at the top right, you can see a light line next to the wave, and at the sky on the top left, you can see faint outlines of water spots.

Any help is appreciated.

Re: Uneven development and water spots?

You say you are not reversing the direction of rotation, that is one part of the problem, and possibly the main cause of streaks. The tanks are designed to be reversed.
    When you pour the developer in with the tank standing, it may or may not fill each septum evenly. However, I don't know how you can fill the tank while it is rotating.

Your pre-soak may be too short to insure that the film is evenly wet and emulsion swelled to receive developer evenly. Try five minutes like Jobo recommends for these tanks.
    Also, it appears you are not doing a complete final wash, a rinse in not sufficient. If you are putting the photo-flo in the tank, it will eventually cause problems of uneven development because it can act as a catalyst.

Hope these suggestions help.

Shailendra, What is your total volume of developer? The streaks does indicate that the problem could be from filling the tank standing and with a relative short developing time that becomes critical.
    I have so far used the same set-up as you but different and more dillute developer with far longer development time so the streaking would be less likely. You can buy a little funnel with a plastic tube on in most auto part stores and that is really helpful when filling the tank while rotating on the base.
    I have had some problems clearing the back of the sheets but rotating the drum 180 Degrees on the base a few times have improved significantly.
    Hope some of this can help locating your problem.

Shailendra.
    In my opinion you have more than one cause for your uneven development. I have been using the same equipment for some time and have never had your problem.
    Firstly, introduce the liquids whilst the drum is rotating.
    Use at least five minutes for the soaking.
    Your time, although quite short, should make no difference to even development.
    For T.Max using RS Developer, I would give at least five minutes- even with quick fix, it seem this is peculiar to the T. Max and RS combination in order to get rid of the nasty colour of the AH coating.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan L Pedersen View Post
    Shailendra, What is your total volume of developer? The streaks does indicate that the problem could be from filling the tank standing and with a relative short developing time that becomes critical.
    I have so far used the same set-up as you but different and more dillute developer with far longer development time so the streaking would be less likely. You can buy a little funnel with a plastic tube on in most auto part stores and that is really helpful when filling the tank while rotating on the base.
    I have had some problems clearing the back of the sheets but rotating the drum 180 Degrees on the base a few times have improved significantly.
    Hope some of this can help locating your problem.
    For 5 sheets of film, I use 1L of fluids...what chemicals, dilution ratios, and times are you using for your setup.

I actually thought of buying a little funnel to pour in the developer as the drum is rotating on the base, I will try that next time, in addition to rotating the drum every minute or so.

Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan. L-B View Post
    Shailendra.
    In my opinion you have more than one cause for your uneven development. I have been using the same equipment for some time and have never had your problem.
    Firstly, introduce the liquids whilst the drum is rotating.
    Use at least five minutes for the soaking.
    Your time, although quite short, should make no difference to even development.
    For T.Max using RS Developer, I would give at least five minutes- even with quick fix, it seem this is peculiar to the T. Max and RS combination in order to get rid of the nasty colour of the AH coating.
    Hope this helps.

Stan, the RS developer was recommended to be used for the specific time at the given temperature, since it was considered constant agitation. Should I experiment with extending the time? I will try to pour in the developer while the drum is rotating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    You say you are not reversing the direction of rotation, that is one part of the problem, and possibly the main cause of streaks. The tanks are designed to be reversed.
    When you pour the developer in with the tank standing, it may or may not fill each septum evenly. However, I don't know how you can fill the tank while it is rotating.

Your pre-soak may be too short to insure that the film is evenly wet and emulsion swelled to receive developer evenly. Try five minutes like Jobo recommends for these tanks.
    Also, it appears you are not doing a complete final wash, a rinse in not sufficient. If you are putting the photo-flo in the tank, it will eventually cause problems of uneven development because it can act as a catalyst.

Hope these suggestions help.
    Hi Jim,

I will try to pour the developer in while the drum is rotating using a funnel. How would I resolve the issue of what appears to be water spots? Is that something that could occur in the fixer phase?

For 5 sheets of film, I use 1L of fluids...what chemicals, dilution ratios, and times are you using for your setup.

I actually thought of buying a little funnel to pour in the developer as the drum is rotating on the base, I will try that next time, in addition to rotating the drum every minute or so.
    Plenty of developer but i think the time it takes to pour 1L of developer into your standing tank is the problem.
    I use Pyrocat MC 1+1+100 for most of my developing needs and run between 12 - 20 minutes depending on film type. Presoak for at least 5 minutes.
    During a 20 minute dev. cycle i only change rotation 4 times and that does make a difference.

Yeah you have to pour it while the drum is horizontal and spinning. Use a funnel. It'll work I use the same set up without those issues.

Shailendra.
    Sorry for the late reply. The T Max and the RS developer are capable of producing the very best from large format negatives. Introduce the liquids whilst the drum is moving and stay with the recommended times until you have sorted out your problem.
    ONLY MAKE ONE CHANGE AT A TIME to ensure you get the correct answer to your original problem, by doing so I am sure you will solve the mystery. Stay enthused.