Thread: Cleaning Glass of an Epson 4870

Cleaning Glass of an Epson 4870

Hi All,

Have noted several discussions about poorer quality scans as compared to first scans from Epson models. I've used a 4870 for 4-5 years, and have cleaned the exposed to the outside glass plates per instructions.

One thread reply said to clean the glass toward the inner workings. Anyone have an idea as how to do this. The lid appeears to have plenty of screws to open it, but the lower scan [base] seems to be accessable only from the bottom of the unit. It appears to me that taking the whole bottom unit apart risks misaligning the unit.

I scan 4X5, 120, and 35mm.

Have a great Thanksgiving,
    Bob

Re: Cleaning Glass of an Epson 4870

Links to instructions and exploded diagrams of your scanner:

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/dismantling.html

Doug

Just whining: it drives me crazy that you can't easily open the scanner to clean the underside of the glass. What were they thinking -- that glass never gets dirty?

Thanks for posting the diagram page!

Thanks Doug. I'm not sure I wish to open the whole scanner due to alignment of electrical parts and sensitivity of the ribbon wire.

Marco,
    Have something to say means to be constructive about the problem. Why waste everyones time restating the obvious. Steven and I are greatful for the diagram.

I finally got bold and found out how easy it is to clean the inside of the main scanner glass.

Unlock the Scanner. Remove the top lid. Unscrew the two black screws located in the holes where the top hinges attach. Facing the front of the scanner. Put your fingernails under the top edge of the black plastic front piece. Pull up and away from the front. It should pop out very easily. Next pull out on the gray plastic top piece (body holding the glass) where it joins the front darker gray bottom piece. You can feel that this is a snap together connection where the top and bottom join. Carefully lift out up the front then the sides and finally the back. Tilt to the left (so the side locking mechanism doesn't catch). Lay on it's side and clean. You could unplug the front switch connector if you want. I didn't bother. Hope that helps. Chao, Tom

+1 for Tom's method, just cleaned my 4870 and it was easy as pie.

TomN7 -- Your instructions worked perfectly. I was a little afraid to do it but was able to get it apart, clean the glass, back together and working fine. Just in the nick of time for Christmas! Thanks for the great instructions.

Tom, thanks; your instructions helped make what I thought would be a hard job, instead, very easy. Much appreciated. DVHirst