Thread: Videotaping photo sessions

Videotaping photo sessions

I was reading another thread (about Bob Shell's sentence) and I saw some people referring to the video-recording of photo sessions when working with models, as a way to demonstrate the session was on the up-and-up. I have been doing some portrait sessions with people I know, but I am starting to do more work with strangers, and it never occurred to me that I might want to record the sessions for my own protection. Is this something commonly done? I wonder how subjects would respond to this - I presume it is not done covertly and that the person is asked for permission to be recorded.

I must be too trustworthy. I am always very pleased to have someone take the time and effort to model for me and I concentrate on making them feel comfortable and at ease. I never thought I would have to worry about the subject falsely accusing me of inappropriate behavior.

Re: Videotaping photo sessions

Seems to me that the first and most important step in avoiding accusations that something inappropriate occurred during a session is to make sure that nothing inappropriate happens.

But beyond that, several important steps are:

1. Make sure that the photographer and the subject have a complete understanding before the session of what the session is about.

2. Avoid touching a model - but if you must, always ask permission first. It's more work for the photographer to provide oral directions to the model, but it's also far more professional.

3. Make it clear at the beginning that the subject controls the sessions and sets the limits. Periodically ask the model if she/he is comfortable.

4. Avoid one-on-one sessions, especially if the subject is to be nude or if the location is remote. Having others present provides both witnesses to what actually transpired, as well as moderating influences if the session starts to wander away from its objectives. And in my experience, photographers tend to work in bursts, and having several photographers present working with a subject provides an opportunity to alternate and recharge. And it never hurts to invite the subject to bring a friend to watch the session. And perhaps that friend will volunteer to be a subject at a subsequent session.

5. Make sure to let the subject know that you intend to ask her/him to sign a model release at the conclusion of the session.

6. Keep the session light and friendly, but also keep the conversation tasteful. I recall a session that almost went out of control when one of the photographers - who was a physician - joked about performing a gynecological exam as he was photographing a model. The model didn't find the joke funny at all.

Re: Videotaping photo sessions

Louie, I completely agree with all of what you say and I certainly work in that manner. This is why I was surprised to hear about people video-recording their sessions. Glad to know I am taking the proper approach already.