Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jobo Expert Drums vs. Normal Drums vs. Tray Developing

Thumbs up Jobo Expert Drums vs. Normal Drums vs. Tray Developing

1) How much better is the quality of the processing using the Expert 4X5 drum vs. the regular drums for both color and b/w? Is tray developing still preferred even with 4X5 for b/w?

2) Similarly, how is the large Expert drum for 5X7/8X10 film vs. non-expert type drums? For b/w work, how is the Jobo Expert or non-expert drums vs. tray developing?

Re: Jobo Expert Drums vs. Normal Drums vs. Tray Developing

I have used the standard drum for 4X5 and have both of the Expert drums (3006 and 3010). The Experts gives me superior edge-to-edge evenness in development with smaller volumes of chemical -although I use double the recommended amount to ensure that developer fatigue does not enter the equation even when running a full load of film with high density subjects (like snow scenes).
    Bruce

This is all tied up with the question of intermittent vs. continuous agitation. Some people feel that continuous is not as sharp looking. I feel that they are probably correct for certain developers. But I have also found that continuous gives me less chance of uneven development. This can work out OK because a scene with large areas of uniform tone like sky or snow may not need the sharpest development possible. A complex scene may be about the visual impact of its detail and need the sharpest. And here the detail helps cover any uneven developing.

"Is tray developing still preferred even with 4X5 for b/w?"

I'm not aware that tray development is preferred for 4x5 b&w. Some people like trays, others use other methods (e.g. tubes, tanks, drums). I used trays (for 8x10) for a while and never liked them - too much standing around in the dark inhaling chemical fumes and shuffling film. I prefer the BTZS tubes myself. I'd guess that for 4x5 b&w tray users actually are a relatively small minority and that tray usage goes up as film size goes up.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Cool First time with Jobo 3010

I posted this a few minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    I finally overcame my inertia and intimidation. Last night I processed 5 sheets of Ilford HP5+ 4x5 film in the Jobo 3010. I am sold! Loading was simple. Development was uniform. A great experience all around. 750ml of D-76 1:1, 10 minutes @ 70 degrees, rolled by hand in my kitchen sink. I couldn't be happier.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Agreed with the others. Jobo is quite simple to use. The expert drums will give you more even development as opposed to the 2500 series reels.

Re: First time with Jobo 3010

I posted this a few minutes ago.
    I am also convinced to buy a roller. rolling by hand is pain. How do you wash your negatives?

Agreed. I need to make/buy the roller base. I just took the lid off and filled/dumped several times. Then I let the water run trhough for a few minutes. Not the best I guess. These were essentially training negatives.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Agreed. I need to make/buy the roller base. I just took the lid off and filled/dumped several times. Then I let the water run trhough for a few minutes. Not the best I guess. These were essentially training negatives.
    a roller will help here, just fill the drum with water and let roller run, dump a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Agreed with the others. Jobo is quite simple to use. The expert drums will give you more even development as opposed to the 2500 series reels.
    Can anyone tell this greener-than-green newbie why this might be? And is the proper Expert drum for 4x5 negs the 3006 or the 3010?
    I'm looking for a reliable safe system to do my B&W developing..thanx for any advice.