Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP5, PMK reciprocity

HP5, PMK reciprocity

Does anyone know if HP5 processed in PMK can tolerate a -3 contraction? What exposure compensation should I expect if that's the case. I was thinking 2 stops.

Also, does anybody know where to find the Reciprocity chart for HP5 in PMK?

I, unfortunately, am somewhere far away, and my Book of Pyro is at home, where I won't be returning for quite a while. Anyways, thanks.

P.S. If it can't tolerate -3, how about -2?

Re: HP5, PMK reciprocity

Using a development time of 13' @ 70F for HP5+ @ EI 320,
    the N-3 time would be 7' @70F @ EI 160 (+ 1 stop).

It has been years since I have used PMK and HP5 but when I did, I could go from -3 to +4 (or at least +3 1/2. For -3 my exposure compensation was + 2 stops. Time in trays was 5.5 minutes.

Reciprocity adjustments for me were:

Meter Adj -Dev %
    1" 1.2" —
    2" 3" —
    ● 5" —
    4" 7" —
    ● 12" —
    8" 19" 5
    ● 33" 8
    15" 50" 10
    ● 1'30 12
    30" 2'25" 14
    ● 4'10" 16
    1' 6'20" 18
    ● 14' 20
    2' 28' 24

On my table, "●" represents 1/2 stops. The table, even with a fixed width font, goes sideways so I hope you can make sense of it.
    John Hennessy

My comments were from the Book of Pyro. I agree with John that more exposure is desirable. I usually rate films a stop or more below the minimum acceptable EI promoted by manufacturers to get good shadow contrast whether it's printed or not (black).

Thanks a bunch.

just to add that it is may be somewhat dependant on where your normal development is. i.e. if you have based normal on a 10 stop range then -3 could be over doing it. If your normal is a 7 stop range, then it should be easily possible.

Eric Woodbury

There is a very interesting way to do contraction with PMK. It is very compensating, that is to say that the highlights don't blow out and all the contrast is in the shadows. If this works for you, try this:

Soak your film in PURE Part A for about 4 minutes. Then develop the film in Part B diluted as if it were developer. Seems like I developed for about 4 minutes. A couple of cautions here, don't presoak your film in anything before the A and SAVE the A, it is fine and won't be discolored.

PMK as Diafine. Wow. Eric, did you dream that up yourself? I tried max compaction by exposing +3 stops and cutting the development time in half (I think Mr. Hutchings mentioned that somewhere) and it sort of worked. Your method sounds interesting as all get-out... if I run across a super contrasty scene I'll have to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    There is a very interesting way to do contraction with PMK. It is very compensating, that is to say that the highlights don't blow out and all the contrast is in the shadows. If this works for you, try this:

Soak your film in PURE Part A for about 4 minutes. Then develop the film in Part B diluted as if it were developer. Seems like I developed for about 4 minutes. A couple of cautions here, don't presoak your film in anything before the A and SAVE the A, it is fine and won't be discolored.
    Very interesting method. Do you rate and expose the film as with any contraction? I would be interested in learning more about this. Is there a published article?

I use the method recommended by Gordon Hutchings. He says for a back lit or sunlit window indoors, to not even meter the highlights. Place the shadows as you normally would on Zone III and expose. Then process for 50% of your N Time. I have found that I get better results developing about 65% of my N Time.

B. Dalton

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post

Hmmmmmmm....