Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunrise in Yosemite

Re: Sunrise in Yosemite

I like Valley View before/at sunrise. Took this one about two weeks ago (click on the thumb for a full view):

Here's another taken from almost the spot but 5 or 6 years ago. This one was taken around Thanksgiving just after a light snow, at about 1/2 hour after official sunrise as the sun is just hitting the face of El Cap:

So yeah, I think it's worth dragging your butt out of bed to be there for sunrise .

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    So yeah, I think it's worth dragging your butt out of bed to be there for sunrise .
    I'll say!

Did you dup. the first shot with the Chamonix, or is there only the M8 capture? HDR or GND?

Here's another taken from almost the spot but 5 or 6 years ago. This one was taken around Thanksgiving just after a light snow, at about 1/2 hour after official sunrise as the sun is just hitting the face of El Cap:

Cheers,
    Sweetness on the snowy El Cap Jack. I'm a former Los Altan myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Camper View Post
    If not El Cap is always a good bet, and you'll probably see the bears heading to the parking lot in search of a morning snack. " SamReeves

Hmm, seems like there is a connection. We get up early, so do the bears. We arrive at the parking lot, and the bears are heading to the parking lot....I'll take my chances and stay in bed. LOL.
    Oh c'mon where's the adventure? You can get yourself a bear photo on 4x5.

Damn you guys who live so close to Yosemite!

Thanks Sam, thanks Eric!

The shot of El Cap with snow was done in 98 I think, and back then I was shooting a Technikardan 4x5. The one from a few weeks ago was done on my Yosemite workshop. Since I was teaching, I was shooting my "little camera," the Leica M8. (Which BTW, has OUTSTANDING image quality!)

Cheers,
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Chase View Post
    Damn you guys who live so close to Yosemite!
    3 hours and 40 minutes from my driveway to that view if I stop for gas and a soda on the way. But as much as that sounds like an advantage, it can also be a curse.

Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

You might be able to get some good early morning reflections of El Capitan in the river. I was there few weeks back and the water level was very low and water was quite still at many places. Unfortunately there was very little, if any, water in the waterfalls. For the first time I saw Yosemite falls completely dry.

Although not located in Yosemite NP, Mono Lake, not far from Yosemite east entrance, is quite beautiful at sunrise.

Speaking of visiting Yosemite...
    Few years back, when I first got my view camera, my family was visiting India and I took full advantage of my bachelor days I made day trips (long 18 hour days) to Yosemite on five consecutive weekends! I would leave home at 6 AM and reach the west entrance at 9:15 AM with a gas stop. The valley is another 30-40 minutes from there. Sometimes I went to valley and sometimes I took the Tioga Pass road. I would leave Yosemite after sunset around 8:30 PM and return home by midnight with a sandwich stop. That was a great learning experience.

// Atul

3 hours and 40 minutes from my driveway to that view if I stop for gas and a soda on the way. But as much as that sounds like an advantage, it can also be a curse.

Yea, about the same from PG (4 hours). Always fill up in Mariposa unless you want to pay $4.50 a gallon in El Portal!

Well at 5 hours from Banff NP, and 3 hours from Glacier, I don't have much to complain about I suppose...

I have never gotten up at dawn in Yosemite Valley with an intention of taking some landscapes at sunrise. Bascially there are a lot of tall cliffs and mountains eastward so the possibilities are limited and not likely to be productive at least for more serious shooters. In the early spring during flooding, one might find a quiet water spot in say El Cap Meadows for a reflection silhouette westward but that is not likely to result in anything that would interest someone like me that is going for the highest quality stuff. These days there is an army of young D-SLR and GND filter users that can't wait to play with their toys in such light but I've rarely seen any YV results that would interest me to join them. The only thing that would otherwise spur me to actually expose film right at sunrise would be if I woke up at early dawn and noticed a solid blanket of high cirrus clouds above that could take early warm light and bathe snowy landscapes below. I'm still waiting for that haha.

If in the valley I am always at Camp 4 in a tent. I tend to visit the valley in late fall or the winter when storms are ending. A time of year when tent nights are so long that by dawn, I can't wait to get going despite freezing temps outside. Thus I regularly do rise before sunrise, pack up gear back into my car, grab a donut, prepared my photo gear, then driven around the valley to check weather conditions and where I might start working after the sun rises up some. If sunrise is 6:30am and an intended subject might work at 7:30am, being there well beforehand is wise as the sluggishness of getting our large format gear into place and ready has a way of disappointing us. ...David