Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plate holders

Plate holders

Well, it finally happened.

I got a plate stuck in one of my plate holders and had trouble getting it out in the dark. With perseverence, I got it out. Then, after processing the plate, I was inserting the dark slide back into the holder and noticed it would not go in. Inspection showed that the wooden strip that holds the plate at the top, where the slide goes in had cracked with age. I guess it is older than I am.

Anyhow, it is in my shop right now with glue on the broken parts and hopes that with TLC it will recover its former glory.

Now, my problem is that I have been searching for a place to buy some additional holders just in case. I can't find any 4x5 holders. I did find one 5x7 and some oddball stuff, but no 4x5s.

Anyone out there with suggestions?

Thanks.

Ron Mowrey

Re: Plate holders

It sounds trite, but the auction thingy is likely to be as good as anything. Midwest Photo Exchange and Pacific Rim Camera could be sources, as well.

Lens and Repro might have some 4x5" plate holders.

KEH occasionally has some under collectibles >> large format >> back and magazine accessories. You might also try Equinox Photographic.

The best plate holders were those made by Linhof in 4x5, 9x12, and 13x18. These have a spring-loaded base plate and the small eject-lever on the side of the holder. They are often on ebay.de and shouldn't cost too much since they are very difficult to use with film. Unfortunately American "single" glass from a glazier is too thick to work with these holders so you would need to special order thinner glass.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

If you can use 9x12, I have a couple of Linhof single-plate metal holders and an adapter to use them on an international back. They just returned after being out on loan for a while, and I have - well, I have another set.

multiplex

once in a while
    equinoxphotographic has them.

Thanks for all of the replies and PMs.

I have searched all of the sites but equinox. I might try e-bay but I am reluctant to do so after a bad experience with an internet transaction a few years ago.

My largest camera is a 4x5, and I coat my own plates with my own ortho emulsion, so I can't handle anything larger than 4x5.

I may design a larger coating setup someday for plates. Right now it is the only thing I have that is reliable as the subbed estar supply is vanishing.

Ron Mowrey

Scott Davis

Ron- I'll dig around in my treasure chest o' stuff and see if I have any 4x5 plate holders. I probably have a bunch that need some cleaning and a little TLC, but might do you for a while.

Ron,
    Do you want a plate holder that will fit the current standard 4x5 camera back? Just curious, because there are a variety of standards for plate holders, in relation to the outside dimensions. I am no expert, I only have experience with larger plate holders that would NOT fit my standard 8x10 film back on my view camera.

So even though my plate holders would accept an 8x10 glass plate (standard size), the outside dimension of the holder was larger than a standard 8x10 film holder.